Saturday, May 12, 2018

New Laptop, Mother Nature Returns, & a Red Ribbon!

Good morning! I've been a little behind in posting but the reasons for that are twofold: 1) Anthea @ Hibiscus Quilts had put on the calendar that this was Piece Yourself Together week but there wasn't a link-up and I was waiting for it to post; and 2) I went to register my Zagg phone screen for my new phone and apparently my laptop decided to fry its hard drive with no warning! So, besides trying to adjust to a new phone, I had to buy a new laptop yesterday as well. UGH! Yes, the cost of these two purchases are going to kill the budget BUT the learning process of two new devices is going to kill ME!!!! Hahaha!

Now on to the post at hand ... Mother Nature decided to go from a cold Spring to a hot Spring overnight. We had exactly one day with windows open meaning 24 hours between the heater and the air conditioner. And in that one day span I discovered that I, like so many other St. Louisans, have developed allergies. Now I'm taking a pill every evening to get me through the days of excessive pollen count. I am not a happy pill taker so this is not good news for me other than I can now function a little better.

In case you were wondering, I am still walking my "Little Gracie Girl" each weekday morning in spite of the pollen. Here are a couple of pictures I took this week on our walks. 
The two dark spots ahead of Gracie are
Mr. & Mrs. Mallard (ducks)

What is startling my little Gracie?

A turtle!

The honeysuckle is just starting to open
and perfume the air
I wish I could have also captured a picture of the little bluebird that was following us one morning too!
As for my sewing, I'm still working on my leaders & enders project (more on that another post) and I'm on my last diamond row of border #1 of Mosaics. My big news, and I hope you're still reading along with me, is that I won 2nd place at our guild's President's Challenge! The rules were easy enough - 1. No side larger than 45", and 2. Must represent a song title with a color in it. Here's my version of "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue".
Ta Da! Marvelous Mini Monday complete with Red Ribbon!

Close-up of my quilting on the alternate blocks
As I was sewing this up at the January retreat, I was singing this song in my head. I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag that I was sewing this for the challenge. I love everything about this little quilt, from the cute little 4" blocks to the beautiful fabrics to the half-and-half colored binding, and also to the way I quilted it -- ditch-quilted little blocks with pretty quilting on the alternate blocks. Besides getting the ribbon on Tuesday I also got a $20 gift card to a LQS. Then on Thursday I shared this quilt at Tips & Techniques at Rosemary's Quilt Shop and won a $5 gift card in the Show 'n' Tell door prize! My little quilt has practically paid for itself!
So now I need to pick up my knitting and get the sweater to a finish. I'm just about done with the second sleeve and still have a brioche-knitted hat to finish by the end of the month.

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers this Sunday and every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment