Saturday, April 2, 2016

Loopy Academy and 2016 UFO Challenge Updates

Kelli's Cowl
Twisted Rib Neckwarmer
by Michelle Johnston
Happy April! This means the beginning of Spring for me. Unfortunately, I'm still getting accustomed to Daylight Savings Time! UGH!!! Personally, I think the Powers That Be ought to pick one (DST or Standard Time) and let it be. All this switching is hard on my nerves! Ha! Rant over .... 

I'm keeping up with my Loopy Academy projects. As you can see, Kelli's Cowl is completed. The project had to incorporate twisted stitches. Easy, except for the 280 stitches per round! Took a while for one orbit!!! (Yarn used is Lorna's Laces and it is SO SOFT!!!)

Next project has to use 2 different colors of yarn -- one solid/tonal and one multi-colored, which is actually the leftover Lorna's Laces Yarn from Kelli's Cowl. Thrifty, you say? Yay, I say! Anyway, I'm making a pair of Houdini Socks. The pattern was designed by Cat Bordhi and it has been super fun! You start out knitting the sole and instep together. Then you actually cut the yarn where the leg begins! I know! Sounds weird, huh? I was so nervous when it came to the cutting but it worked beautifully!! I may do this technique on all my upcoming socks!

16 Vintage Roses Blocks DONE!

I'm happy with the progress I made on my Vintage Roses. It was the chosen project by the 2016 UFO Challenge. I unsewed the three blocks made in class and actually finished 16 blocks! Hurray for me! I must confess though that it wasn't too difficult since  I managed to escape on retreat! While being pampered at Sprague's Kinderhook Lodge, I also worked on my guild's Block- of-the-Month. No picture yet as it will be shown at next guild  meeting. But suffice it to say that I managed to finish the top  because I continued work on it after returning home!
Vintage Roses Blocks in Progress



Back to my Vintage Roses project ... this next photo shows more progress made since returning home from retreat. I cut out the remaining 19 blocks of roses and they are coordinated and pinned together. I believe I also have MOST of the background blocks also cut out and plenty of the leaves set and ready to go. Can't wait for another retreat because this will be easy to pick up again. However,  I'm packing it up because ...



Woolen Willow QAL


 The 2016 UFO Challenge has picked #1 for the April  project to work on. From my original blog post, here is a  picture from my design wall of my starting point. There are a couple more blocks to sew and a few more  flying geese to complete and then assembly! Can't wait to get going on this one again! I loved doing all the blocks to this one so far and it really, really, REALLY needs to get finished! Challenge on!!!





You should really get in on this challenge. I started it last year but didn't stick to it very well. I'm trying to be as faithful as I can to it this year. Kind of my New Year's Resolution. *wink* You can find out all the details of this Challenge HERE:


Have a creative weekend and I'll catch you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment