Wednesday, November 9, 2016

APQ 2016 UFO & Irene Blanck

This has been such a wonderful month! I was only able to work on my projects for the last half of the month due to being gone on vacation. Am I complaining? No way! Love vacations but sometimes it does interfere with my "normal" life.

Let me start with Loopy Academy. I've completed my gloves and am just about finished with a pair of socks, complete with bobbles or popcorn stitches. I've got them going 2-at-a-time, toe-up for an extra challenge. I've done 2-at-a-time before but they were cuff-down. Glad I tried as I can't think of a reason to ever knit one sock at a time ever again!

The sock pattern is a knit-along with www.KnitPurlHunter.com , who is also known as Michelle Hunter! I really like the chains going up the fronts and the stitchery going up the back is unique. Simple patterns yet keeps it interesting.

Let me get on with the applique & English paper-piecing class I was fortunate enough to take. Irene Blanck worked in classes all over the USA coinciding with Quilt Market in Houston. She hails from Australia so that right there tells you what a treat it was to take a class from her. Some of her methods I was familiar with, some I was not. It's so fun to take classes from different teachers because there's usually a bonus tip you can pick up ... or it is just the Aussies? Case in point, I took a wool applique class a while ago. The instructors were Australian and I picked up stapling (yes, you heard me, stapling!) my wool pieces to my background before stitching. Such an eye-opening tip!!! Totally portable!!

I think maybe that's key for the stitchers from Australia. Irene was very big into getting things totally glued in place before sewing. She also stressed keeping everything portable!

Yesterday I checked & checked the website for the APQ 2016 UFO Challenge. I wasn't the only one either judging by the comments! I went to bed last night and still didn't know what project was chosen. When I woke up this morning, still no post. However, I checked about an hour ago and there it was -- #9.

Check out what was in my lap this morning! Yup! Finishing up my September APQ 2016 UFO Challenge! I've actually finished since this picture was taken this morning and I look forward to cooler (even COLD!) temperatures which will be coming eventually!
I predict a lot of applique in my future. I went to a one-day retreat Friday and I to my applique project!

Have a great day! I'm sharing a picture I took on my walk this morning. Loved the cool, crisp air, the warm sun on my back, and the clematis still sharing joy in blooming just for me!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh, I like that new project! Can't wait to see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete