Thursday, May 13, 2021

I Like Thursday #33

This is my 33rd I Like Thursday post and that makes me smile. I like the number 3 so this one is twice as happy for me!

Moving right along from the last I Like Thursday post put us on our way to North Carolina from Maryland. On our way we stopped at Oxford NC to see how that town might work out for us should we ever actually decide that we will move. It was very nice and there were some small, outlying towns nearby with some very pretty houses. It's also close to Kerr Lake (or Bugs Island as some call it) which would be very convenient for my fishing hubby.

On to my brother's house for a grand Cinco de Mayo celebration. He started me off with a homemade margarita, chips & salsa, and homemade spicy (from his last year's homegrown chili peppers) cheese dip. Happy Hour was followed up with steak tacos with all the fixings including lettuce from his garden, Spanish rice, and the most delicious black beans I've EVER tasted. I know he had his homegrown cilantro in there but I can't tell you what else. So good and I appreciated that meal very much. I should have taken a picture but my hands were obviously too busy shoving all that deliciousness into my face! Ha!

I toured his garden the next day and, if he ever moves, I know he'll miss all the work he has put into it and will have to start over. I did remember my camera this time!

Tall plants are cilantro he's letting flower & go to seed for fresh coriander.
There is squash growing against the side of the house.
Looking the other way is lettuce, green beans, jalapeno peppers,
poblano peppers, one chili pepper, okra, and tomatoes.

The main focus of our visit was to celebrate my niece's graduation from the University of North Carolina - Wilmington. She got her degree in Business Administration in Finance and accomplished this in only three years! Jennifer starts an internship later this month at a bank. We're so proud of all she's done in such a short time. I like how she was able to apply some of her high school credits towards her degree PLUS she was able to knock out a few credits attending the junior college while still in high school.


To celebrate, let us eat cake! I like cake, by the way!
Jennifer with her Grandma, Uncle Fred, and Aunt Sue

Cake with the twins!
Even though we were there for only a couple of days, on the recommendation of Joy from The Joyful Quilter, I made a little time (like a couple of hours) to visit a quilt store in the very town my brother lives, Pineapple Fabrics! My purchase was small because I was so overwhelmed with all the goodies inside and I didn't get any pictures but I did get a bag!
We got home on Sunday. Do I really need to tell you that I like getting home again, no matter how much fun we've had on vacation? While we were gone, Spring arrived. If you're tired of garden pictures just scroll on down. I liked coming home to everything blooming.
Rose bush all filled in and ready to explode with flowers.
Chairs in the background were picked up for garbage in Mom's subdivision.
I like chairs in the garden for potted plants to sit on and rickety, junky chairs are perfect!

Salvia but no bees yet

Weigela Wine & Roses
This poor plant was smashed and laying into the road
a couple of winters ago from the snow plow.
Last Fall I trimmed and staked it up, started watering & feeding it, and look at it this year!
I like using long selvage strips for tying plants up in the garden.

Allium blooms against a blue sky.

Dusty purple iris blooms outside my basement sewing space window.

Bird patio iris bed. One purple iris going strong and tons of yellow buds.

I cleaned up this corner of the house a little and set up this
handy hose holder, which is connected to my rain barrel for easy use.
I like it! It was a Christmas present from my son & daughter-in-law.

I finished my book "When the Stars Go Dark" Monday. I enjoyed it although sometimes I felt like it was more a YA book. There was also some spiritualism in it that I found fun but some may not like that aspect. The characters were likable and there was enough twists & turns that will keep you wondering exactly whodunnit!

I downloaded a short book ("Sex, Lies & Serious Money) knowing that a novel on my Hold List was going to be available in 19 days. Besides the length, my mother had already read this book so we could get it off our list. It started off quickly with a guy winning a super, duper large Powerball lottery.


Of course on Tuesday my Hold book became available. I like how I can Save books on a list to read later and I can put a book on Hold to be in the queue for reading it next. However, sometimes the approximate date available is a bit off. I waited several months for "The Dry" so I'll be downloading it today (Thursday) to start as soon as I finish "Sex, Lies & Serious Money". Oh brother! Good thing I like to read! Ha!

"The Dry" has had good reviews from several of my fellow bloggers so I'm very excited to start it ... later!

I like Laundry Basket Quilts by Edyta Sitar. I saw she was starting a mystery QAL on our first day back from vacation. I talked it over with my sister and we have both jumped on. My sister will be doing hers in blues & lights while I have decided to use browns & lights. Today is Day #4 and I'm still working on clue #2. That's OK. I like the process and it is not a race. Linda just started yesterday so she's a little behind also. Here's a picture of my progress so far.
Clue #1 on the left and partial Clue #2 on the right
If you've made it this far, congratulations!  I like my readers and I like my fellow bloggers! I also like LeeAnna of Not Afraid of Color for gathering us all up weekly to share our Likes. Sometimes, in the midst of life, we forget to be grateful for all the things we like! Hop on over to LeeAnna's blog to see some other fun posts!

Have a GREAT week!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for the graduate! The flowers are pretty. I like your brown blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun trip! Sounds like your brother knows how to garden and entertain company, too. Your growing things are looking pretty, too! Lots of good books on your list this week - thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big congrats to Jennifer, an enterprising young woman for sure! What a fun and happy trip for you. Loads of great plants in your garden; I have several weigela too and they always give a good show though mine will be much later on in the summer. I also love Laundry Basket Quilts...I currently have Edyta's butterfly pattern to make a summer quilt. Your blocks are immaculate beauties. I struggle with accuracy on the machine. Thanks so much for sharing this from your neck of the woods which is far more along into spring than ours!

    ReplyDelete