Geesh! I have been slacking on the blog. My last post was a fun one, right after I spent a long weekend with Vickie. I've got a few things to catch you up on today.
When I last showed you my hexie project, I was preparing to quilt it. It is now a finished quilt.
![]() |
| Finished 52" x 36.5" |
![]() |
| Free-Motion Quilting on my Domestic Machine Simple Orange Peels on All Hexies |
![]() |
| Still Loving this Backing! |
I am a bit behind on my Granny Jewels. I think I was side-tracked with the Fishy Hexi! Lol! Anyway I'm getting back on track with them and playing RSC catch-up.
![]() |
| Three Turquoise Jewels for July |
![]() |
| Four In-Progress Yellow Jewels for August |
Purples will be next for September. Fortunately I have stitching time during Mom's PT, weekly hair appointments, and while I'm watching the US Open.
My TAS (The Applique Society) chapter worked on a clam-shell pouch which I'm still working on. I'm down to the quilting and then I'll be finishing it up.
![]() |
| Soon-to-Be Clam Shell Pouch |
![]() |
| Turquoise Tulips Doll Quilt (RSC August) |
Of course there are other projects in the works but I'll spare you those details. What I would like to share with you is I've been involved with a 6-week class on Friday afternoons. It's called SAVVY Caregivers and it targets us Dementia/Alzheimer Caregivers. My class has me and another lady dealing with a mother, several women dealing with husbands, and one man dealing with his wife. We each received a notebook with Chapter Lessons and have seen one film with another one to be shown at our next class. It's very informative on the different types of dementia and how to deal with the different "personalities" dementia can take. It's sad in some ways but we can still find humor in our situations. Patience is key as well as self-care. The course is backed by the Alzheimer Organization and University of Minnesota. If you are in a position where you are dealing with a person with dementia, I strongly recommend you try to find a SAVVY Caregiver class. Ours was offered through our Senior Center in town.
We are still in a hot zone here in the Midwest hitting 100 several days in a row with more to come. It the first time we hit 100 in a couple of years! Relief is in sight for the second half of September and I'm looking forward to that.
Have a great Labor Day Weekend everyone!!!
Sharing with SoScrappy and my fellow scrappers!







Wow. the backing for your hexagon quilt is so cool !
ReplyDeleteWasn't I lucky to have found that backing in my stash! It seems to be the consensus that it was perfect. Thank you for stopping by.
DeleteLove your work! And that’s awesome you have a group with dementia. Every persons is different!
ReplyDeleteSusie, your hexie quilt is fabulous - congratulations on the finish! Looks like you've got some other fun projects in the works, too. The dementia class sounds really helpful - I don't have my mom living here with me, but understanding dementia better sounds like a good thing to do!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Diane. I really enjoyed making the hexie quilt, right down to the quilting & finishing. Wondering what I'm going to end up doing with my Granny's Jewels next.
DeleteWelcome back, Susie. Your hexies are looking fabulous. I love those little fishy hexies. And the tulip quilt is as cute as a button. I have always wanted to tackle a tulip quilt - maybe 2027 will be the year. Thank you so much for sharing the info on SAVVY. I agree , patience and a positive attitude is the key. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs and Blessings.
ReplyDeleteYour words hit the spot -- patience and positive attitude are a must. Hope you're having a great weekend!
DeleteI'm sure I really have no idea about the challenges you have dealing with your Mothers dementia, and I'm so pleased you have connected with the Savvy group for support and advice. Like all of us, I'm guessing that stitching and sewing is your happy place.
ReplyDeleteJenny, sewing is truly my happy place especially when I can get behind my machine. While I love all things hand-sewing, I miss my machine and listening to the whirr of the machine. Oh well, one day I'll have plenty of time for that. This weekend I'm attending a sleep-in-your-bed retreat -- truly my HAPPY PLACE!! Hugs to you.
DeleteAwesome projects! Caregiving is hard work. I'm glad you have access to this class and the support it provides.
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by, Sara, and giving me encouragement. I don't mind too much, just there are some days ..... This weekend is my sleep-in-your-own-bed retreat and I'm loving that. Hope you're having a good weekend as well.
DeleteLots of lovely things happening with you. Your finished hexie project is gorgeous. I am always wondering how to quilt hexies. Your jewels are great and I look forward to seeing the finished clamshell pouch, I am loving the colours. Your SAVVY group sounds good, so lovely that there are people around to organise these things. xx
ReplyDeleteI hope you were able to see how I quilted my hexie quilt. Basically it was a simple orange peel style. Hope your weekend is going well. Keep on sewing!
DeleteYou found the perfect backing for your hexie quilt. We took an Alzheimer’s society course earlier this year. My MIL has dementia. It was very helpful.
ReplyDeleteGail at the cozy quilter.
I think the Alzheimer's class was especially good for me since I don't have any family members in the area to share the care-giving with. I'm grateful that my husband is here and is supportive. I was thrilled to find that backing in my stash and that I had enough! Always makes for a good day!!! Have yourself a good weekend!
Delete