Sunday, September 9, 2018

Are You Impressed?

I am very impressed with my progress if I must say so myself. Probably the most amazing part about that is we've had house guests coming & going for the past two weeks. My husband retired from combined government service after 40 years and our daughter came in from Virginia to celebrate the occasion. In the meantime, my brother and his wife were traveling by car from North Carolina to Colorado Springs to visit their son on Parents Weekend at the U.S. Air Force Academy. My mother  came up to stay with us also while my daughter was here and then to hitch a ride to Colorado with my brother to visit her cadet grandson. After their wonderful weekend, the threesome (my brother, his wife, and Mom) returned for a few more days before my brother and sister-in-law headed home. The same morning they left, we took Daughter to the airport for her return flight. Whew! It was quite a whirlwind, let me tell you!

But enough of all that, look what I managed to fit in. I prepared Liberty by Kathy Schmitz for embroidering. I figured it would be a good project to work on with company around since I didn't have to count stitches or concentrate too hard. Here was my progress when the dust settled down from company.
Then I finished off the embroidery and crafted up a wool flag instead of the fabric accent that came with the pattern.
Yesterday I crept down to the basement and cut the squares needed for the pieced borders. This morning I was up early to piece the borders and sew them on. Ta da!
This was such a fun project that I decided to start another one. This one is called Be Mine and is again by Kathy Schmitz.
While I was downstairs sewing yesterday morning, I also managed to finish Week 3 of Dresden Workshop Quilt by Suz'n Quilts. This is a fun, fun, FUN project and I would encourage you all to visit her blog here and start this project too. She is so thorough in her directions for the perfectly-flat dresden blocks and these are teeny, tiny dresdens! Here's my progress so far. I'm behind two weeks but should be able to make some headway over the next couple of weeks.
To give you some perspective, the dresdens are sitting on 5" squares. Whoa! That's right! The squares are only 5"!

My brother-in-law was working in Hawaii when that hurricane hit there and he had to hunker down for a couple of days. He missed two days of work and had to make up the lost time the following week. This past weekend we were hit by the remnants of Hurricane Gordon. My rain gauge measured a little over 5.5" in about 24 hours. 



Pictures of the backyard pond from our deck. On the left is our dock and on the right is the neighbor's double-decker dock.


Gradually the water subsided. Here are pictures of the same docks after the rain stopped and the water had gone down significantly. I'll say it right up front -- we got a lot of water!

Now all our eyes are on Hurricane Florence heading for South Carolina, North Carolina (brother) and Virginia (daughter). Jeepers! Creepers!  So much wind and rain everywhere!

Gracie & I are looking forward to drier weather this week so we can get back to enjoying our walks. Enjoy your week too! 

I'll be linking up with Moving It Forward with Em's Scrap Bag on Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment