Saturday, October 12, 2019

Retreat? Nope ....

I was supposed to go on a 4-day quilt retreat this weekend but plans got tossed along the way. My husband has been experiencing quite a bit of abdominal pain. After a doctor visit last Friday, followed by a blood draw and a CT scan this week, I went to the follow-up appointment with him yesterday with quilting plans dancing in my head. Diagnosis: Pancreatitis! What??!! Recommendation: Bowel-Rest Diet in a hospital. Whoa!

We went to the ER near us and prepared for admittance. Of course, they needed to run their own tests -- blood, urine, an ultrasound, followed by another CT. Yes, pancreatitis it is! However -- hospitalization isn't mandatory at this point. Yes, we need to follow a bowel-rest diet for 3-4 days and then slowly add easy-digestible food. If the pain doesn't return, slowly add other foods. Takes me back to being a new mother! I double-checked with the doctor as to what easy-to-digest food he had in mind: rice, noodle, applesauce, carrot, and I'm thinking squash? He said I had it right. So, I may not be a dietitician but I am a mother!

My bags are mostly unpacked, I've cooked up some beef bones with onion & celery (which I'll strain and de-fat) for the sick-o, and I'm sticking close to home for the time being. In a bit I'll gather myself together and head to the grocery store for apple juice, jell-o, and popsicles!

I know it's all about him but I wasn't feeling so hot either -- the anxiety of being at the ER for 6 hours not knowing if they'll keep him or release him, followed by the let-down of not going to retreat. What's a girl to do? Why sew, of course! Got my Tiny Tuesday block done for this week.
Of course, I'll feel better if the St. Louis Cardinals can put together a WIN tonight! Let's Go, Cards! Have a GREAT weekend!


Linking up with SoScrappy here.

20 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your DH. Sometimes it’s hard (or at least sad) to cancel plans to nurse our loved ones, but we wouldn’t have it any other way, would we? Sending wishes for his speedy recovery and for you as well. Your TT Block is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy, for your kind words. It is hard but there isn't really a choice, is there? If reversed, he'd do right by me too.

      Delete
  2. So sorry. I can imagine you are hugely disappointed in the change in plans. Your browns are so pretty. My sister lives in St. Charles, MO. she will be rootin for the cardinals also. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kat. My brother's in-laws live in St. Charles too. Sound like we're practically related! *wink*

      Delete
  3. Wish your DH all the best and a speedy recovery. Some more sewing will help you relax, I'm sure of that. Fabric therapy. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for fabric therapy and thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. What a drag to miss your quilt retreat. I'm glad your husband didn't have to stay in the hospital, and I hope he's feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. We're grateful he didn't have to stay also as he is certainly more comfortable in his own bed.

      Delete
  5. Oh what a shame, for both of you. Hope your hubby is feeling better soon, and I'm sure you would rather be close by to care for him. As you say, although you are missing the retreat, you can get some sewing time at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying home was really my only choice. DH would've done the same for me -- actally he did when I had my appendectomy! <3

      Delete
  6. SEW sorry to hear that you had to cancel your quilt retreat!! Here's hoping hubby heals quickly and you can do a mini retreat soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually already paid for an all-day retreat this Friday. Fingers crossed he's well enough to be alone that day. Thank you for the kind words!

      Delete
  7. I hope your husband gets better soon. Good luck nursing him. Best wishes to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate your kind words very much.

      Delete
  8. Oh, Susie, that is no fun - for either of you! It's hard having to mother your hubby when he's ill. I've been there. Hope he feels better soon, and you have more sewing in your future! Your flying geese block is pretty - matches the fall photo in your blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved sewing this block and am pleased with it also. Thank you for your kind words. I'm doing my best to keep DH on his strict diet to wellness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about your husband Susie - I do hope that the diet is successful. What a shame that you missed retreat but I love the little flying geese block - it is one of my favourites. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry about retreat and pancreatitis, it's no fun. Had it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope every day your DH improves. Pancreatitis is no fun!
    Your little circle of geese is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well isn’t that odd that I mentioned a retreat in my response to you and that I’d cooked squash yesterday and here I come to visit and both those things are this post!! I swear I didn’t read this first! I know your husband will heal well under your tender care.

    ReplyDelete