Saturday, May 6, 2023

I Like Thurs #113, PHD April Report, RSC Orange, and FNwFs

I have been off-grid for 2-1/2 to 3 weeks due to trips. April 11 or 12 through the 17th I was in Del Rio TX to witness my nephew earn his USAF pilot wings. He was selected for fighter pilot school next which takes 6-9 months to achieve. We are so proud of him and the time I spent in TX was wonderful. There will be pictures later probably but I have other things to talk about right now.

Mom & Me with my nephew.
We are standing in front of the airplane
 hon which e has already qualified

I had barely finished the laundry and caught my breath when off Fred & I left for FL on April 23 by way of Savannah GA. We met my BFF and her husband there and spent the afternoon & evening of the 24th on the waterfront. The next morning we caught the trolley for the historical district tour and then drove on to Cocoa Beach FL for the guys' military reunion. Too much fun to go into but here's a picture of the four of us ready for dinner at the Patrick AFB Club.

We finally made it home on May 2 but not before visiting Chickamauga Civil War Battlefield on the way. Located on the border between Georgia and Tennessee, it was the perfect opportunity to stop and spend an afternoon.

LeeAnna @ Not Afraid of Color gave us the prompt -- Do we like to sing and, if so, what & where? Yes, I like to sing! I probably mostly sing in the car or while I'm cooking. I don't always know the words to the song so I'll just make up what I am currently feeling or what may rhyme. I also sing a lot on the bike trail with Gracie. I usually rely on songs I learned in 3rd grade. My dad was stationed in Germany at that time and my wonderful, piano-playing teacher (Miss Brueggeman) taught us all sorts of patriotic songs. We learned all the anthems for the military branches, a load of America songs, and some fun ones like Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree, I Love to Go A-Wandering, and of course a few songs my mother taught me like Oh Dunderback, The Cannibal King, Oh I Walked to Toledo, and more. Piano music in our house led to even more singable songs like There Is a Tavern In the Town and so many other silly songs. Gracie seems to enjoy them all!

Gail @ Quilting Gail is working through her Projects Half Done (PHD) and has encouraged us to join her. I didn't do too bad this month. I started and finished a "secret" project which I'll share later after the recipient receives it. I also completed a UFO. It wasn't on my list but the top was done and I turned it into a quilt this month when I rented time on the long-arm at my LQS. The binding was also applied, of course!  Here's a picture of Harmony, designed by GEDesigns. I pieced this during a COVID QAL.

Picture of the Front

And the Back

Any and all of my RSC (Rainbow Scrap Challenge) projects suffered last month. April's designated color was purple and there were no purple pineapples pieced. May's color is orange so that will need to be completed this month also. My May goal is to get both sets of RSC pineapples sewn.

As for miscellaneous projects, I did manage to finish the Lucy Boston block from English Paper-Piecing Club.

I picked out fabrics for Uptown but not one little piece was appliqued down. Zero progress on that. Ugh!

Tonight is Friday Night with Friends, brought to us by Cheryll @ Gone Stitchin'. I started this morning (which was of course evening by Australian time!) with Oh My Scrappy Stars. I managed to get all 25 of my star blocks finished up. The pattern only uses 16 blocks but I wanted mine to be a little larger. The sashing is the next step and I've got some 2-1/2" strips set aside for that.

I'm also working on a Spring SAL cross-stitch project. Melisa @ Pinker 'n' Punkin' offered this freebie up on her website. I've been enjoying working on this in the evenings.
Early Evening

Late Evening Progress

While we were driving to & from Florida, I was working on the next EPP block. It is called Buzz Saw. Here's a little peek into my project box which worked very well while traveling.

All in all, I didn't do too bad considering I wasn't with my sewing machine much last month. However  some progress was made. Let's hope May is more cooperative but I don't know about that. The yard and gardens need much attention now too. It just never ends!

Have a great weekend!


In case you missed the links, here's a recap where you can see what all my quilty friends managed to do:


I Like Thursday - LeeAnna @ Not Afraid of Color

PHD April - Gail @ Quilting Gail

RSC April - Angela @ So Scrappy

FNwF - Cheryll @ Gone Stitchin;

10 comments:

  1. Tripping around the country certainly means less time at the sewing machine. But you had fun trips so itvwas well worth it. We had ten weeks away recently and although I had hand stitching and knitting to do I was really looking forward to getting together with my sewing machine again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots happening at you place... so thanks for sharing.
    It was nice having your company at FNwF again too...xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trips look like they were very fun, Susie! Looks like you got a lot done when you were home, too. The Harmony quilt is so pretty - nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susie - I ahev been a very slack blog reader of late - you have certainly crammed a lot into a month..Looking forward to your pineapples...love that idea for RSC...and seeing the stzars all together.. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun trips! And such fun quilt blocks. The Buzz Saw ones are intriguing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harmony is a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh, kokuburra... I used to sing that! and the others too. That took me back.
    Love Savannah... said with at least 6 syllables!
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucy Boston and those little blocks are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great times Susie. Oh my doesn't your nephew look handsome in his uniform! Love all your blocks, stars and swoon, and trying to not look too closely as I will definitely want to make some...Harmony is so pretty too. Happy Stitching from me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was a whirlwind of activity for you this past month! Nice quilt finish. I have a gift quilt underway too. I’m sure you will soon be back on track with your pineapple blocks. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete