Saturday, May 25, 2024

Nearing the End of PINK RSC

It suddenly dawned on me that the end of May is approaching and I never did my pineapple blocks for the month. Timing was perfect as this is the last weekend of the month which means time to sew with my quilty friends Friday & Saturday while going home at night to sleep. Love this retreat and love all the ladies that I sew with during this retreat.

Yesterday I picked out the fabrics I wanted to use and which ones had enough to cut up for the pineapple blocks. First thing, after setting up my sewing station at retreat, I began the blocks. There was a lot to catch up with my friends but, by the end of my day, I had my three blocks sewn.


A close-up picture

This week I finished reading "Something to Hide" by Deborah Mogach. I enjoyed the story and it was interesting to see how the different tangled lives were going to be sorted out at the end. 
Again my timing was perfect. I finished this book the day my hold book, "The Frozen River" by Ariel Lawhon, became available! I'm sure this book was recommended to me by one of my blog friends but I can't remember which one. I'm about 100 pages in and it is very interesting and of course there is a mystery involved. 
You can see what GoodReads
has to say about it HERE
On the recipe front, I made a blueberry muffin loaf. It was suggested by Sherri at A Quilting Life. She has a Saturday Seven post each week and there's always a section on cooking. You can find the recipe by Smitten Kitchen HERE . Mom& I loved it and it stayed fresh in the refrigerator for quite a long time. You can find Sherri's Saturday Seven blog post HERE for May 25.

I also made an oldie but goodie to share at retreat this weekend. It's Kardea Brown's recipe for Lemon Pudding Pound Cake. So moist and delicious, not to mention easy! Find the recipe HERE.

Apparently misery really does love company. After finishing the puzzle I worked on with my sister, I recently started another one. This is another 1500 piece that I found in Mom's basement. It took me two days to turn all the pieces over!!!

Last Sunday hubby, Mom, & I joined the Senior Center for a daytime bus trip.

We enjoyed a family-style lunch at Castelli's up in Alton. They are known for their fried chicken and we enjoyed it so much since I don't cook that kind of food. Along with the chicken we ate salad, scrumptious bread (which we also don't usually have), mostaccioli, baked potato, green beans with bacon, and orange sherbet for dessert. We ate like hogs!

Next stop was the Alton Little Theater to see a community-theater performance of Singin' in the Rain. Wow! Was it spectacular! The theater was a wonderful venue and the play was well performed. We all agreed that it was a great time for a special occasion. We were celebrating Mother's Day with a nod also to Mom's upcoming 91st birthday in June.
I enjoyed the season finale of Survivor this week. I approved of the one chosen to win the million dollars. Sorry to see the season end for Blue Bloods, Elsbeth, and Tracker. Something to look forward to next season, right?

I'm linking up with Angela and friends at SoScrappy. Check out all the pink progress HERE.

Have a wonderful weekend and, if you're a tennis fan, the French Open starts on Sunday! Yay!

13 comments:

  1. It might have been me that recommended the Frozen River…such a great story! Nice pineapple blocks. Sounds like a fun outing. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pineapple blocks are so pretty. I like those Sleep-in-Your-Own-Bed retreats too! It looks like you had a fabulous bus trip. We saw a production of Singing in the Rain at a theatre in Glendale AZ several years ago. We still talk about it. We were visiting our son and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had a busy week! Your pineapple blocks are so fun in pink, Susie. That blueberry muffin loaf sounds yummy - I have some frozen blueberries that have been waiting for the perfect recipe. Your bus trip looks like fun, too! So nice that your mom is still able to do things like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A busy, fun & productive time...I must finish my pink fish too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful week! I love the photos of you and your Mom - so sweet. Your pineapple blocks are pinkalicious! Have a wonderful weekend and a very Happy Memorial Day, Susie. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink pineapples looking good and your day out sounds fun. Had to look up mostaccioli, new one on me, but sounds delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure like your pineapple blocks! Thanks too for the info on the books as I keep a list of 'recommended' books!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely day out, lovely lunch and a show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS, meant to add, pretty pink pineapples. You must have quilt a harvest of colourful pineapples by now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fun little trip for a dual celebration day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, great pink pineapples! I admire your curved piecing. How nice to take a trip with your mom. Thanks for the book recommendations, I'm always looking for something good to read. I love working puzzles, but 1500 pieces might be out of my league. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had so much fun! Fried Chicken, Orange Sherbet and Singing in the Rain :-D Love the pink pineapples and good luck with the jigsaw puzzle - may it be engaging enough without undue frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those pineapples are so pretty and what a nice array of pinks you included. How wonderful to have such a great outing with your Mom. The food sounds so delicious. Mostaccioll is new to me as in what is it? Also thanks for the recipe links which I always appreciate. And the book recommendations too. A wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete