Thursday, July 11, 2024

I Like Thursdays #148

Wow! Did we get a lot of rain from Hurricane Beryl on Tuesday! My rain gauge only goes up to 4" and it overflowed! The best part was it cooled off our weather with barely 70 degrees F on Tuesday and just into the 80s yesterday. Summer is expected to return this weekend and we'll be seeing near 100s again. Ugh! It beats Las Vegas weather though!!!

Before we got drenched, I saw my neighbor's tiger lilies were blooming. Aren't they the sweetest the way they bloom looking downward? And especially pretty with the daisies.


Yesterday's walk caught a couple of glimpses of the effects of rain.

Mushrooms Popped Up Overnight

Check Out the Green Moss on this Big Tree
(So Pretty with the Sunshine)

I'm cooking right along with "The Women" by Kristin Hannah. It's hard to imagine how difficult it was in Vietnam but especially for the women nurses. I find it hard to put this one down.


Cooking this week has been uneventful. I did try to make a strawberry rhubarb pie for Mom. I'm not familiar with rhubarb except it's supposed to be quite sour. Mom wants more rhubarb than strawberry in her pie. The one I cooked turned out quite soupy and the rhubarb cooked down to nothing. Anyone out there have a good recipe for Mom?

Television watching has been a lot of Wimbledon tennis. However a friend recommended a Netflix movie -- "The Queen Bees" with Ellen Burstyn, Jane Curtain, James Caan, and more. We found it quite entertaining. If you have Netflix, check out this light, funny, old-people movie. Ha!

Our prompt today from our hostess is if we have a favorite summertime drink. I, of course, went straight to cocktails. My favorite would be a tall glass of Jalapeno Lemonade spiked with tequila or vodka. Second choice would be a refreshing Moscow Mule. If needy no with time to make a drink, then I'd pop a bottle of Coors Light. If all else failed, I would reach for a big glass of cool water.

I hope you have a great finish to your week. Stay cool! I'll be checking with the others HERE to see what they've found likeable this week.

2 comments:

  1. That is a lot of rain! It's always amazing to see how far north the rain as a result of a hurricane goes. I bet the flowers like it! I had to look up how a Moscow Mule is made - sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to get all of that rain especially since it cooled things down. Too bad the heat will be returning. The lilies look so pretty. Mmm a strawberry rhubarb pie sounds wonderful. It has been ages since I have ate one. I have never made one though. Have a great weekend, Susie.

    ReplyDelete