Saturday, November 30, 2019

Thanksgiving Family Post & Scrappy Saturday

I realized today was Saturday when I saw Angela's Scrap Happy Saturday post this morning. I sat down for a bit and did the final assembly of my Sting-X block for October. I really like the brown strings but, then again, I love the color brown! I have a lot of chocolate browns (no surprise there! Lol!) and I think I made a beautiful block.
This was block #10. I need two more String-X blocks for a 3X4 layout. I know I'm going to make a black block but what should the other color be? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Already did a red, pink, orange, yellow, light blue, dark blue, aqua, green, and purple one. Is there another color???? Maybe gray? or dark cream/paper bag brown? Help!

We had a quiet Thanksgiving here, just Fred, Mom, & me. Because it was just us, I asked the gang if it would be OK to have stuffing on Thanksgiving and then mashed potatoes on leftover night. We all decided that was a great idea. We didn't really need both all on one night.


A good dinner was had by all. Then we had pie with whipped cream. I made pumpkin and apple.
Gracie wished everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. She was grateful that we don't eat giblet gravy and all the goodies go to her. We stagger it out over about a week because we don't want her to get too spoiled! Ha!
And Polly liked that it was just us. She really doesn't appreciate company.
I'm watching over the cat next door while the neighbors visit family in Mississippi. Kitty is VERY old but she can still jump up into a lap ....
.... and onto the couch for a nap.
My niece  came home on Wednesday from UNC-Wilmington to have her wisdom teeth removed. I think she'll be in pretty good shape by the time she leaves tomorrow for class again on Monday. Here's a picture of her applying a lot of ice to keep the swelling & bruising down.
Speaking of Wednesday, we had a horrible wind storm run through here Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. Gracie & I took a walk Thursday while the turkey was in the oven and we across this tree down on the trail plus lots of leaves, twigs, and branches.
And to help support small businesses, Mom & I shopped at The Chef's Shoppe in Edwardsville where I got an early Christmas present -- Le Crueset Dutch Oven. Got a good deal plus I got to use an almost-$20 rebate that I earned from last year's shopping!

Next stop was Allison's Shoes in Glen Carbon. My Birkenstock clogs were worn smooth on the soles and the leather was all cracked, peeled, and yucky in general. Got me a new pair and Mom got herself a new pair of Naot shoes. We certainly helped the economy this afternoon!!

Polly approved my purchase.
I will be linking up with Angela HERE in case you missed the link at the top of the post. Anybody diving in to the Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt "Frolic"? Will you be using the same color combo Bonnie used? I'm still on the fence if I'll jump in.

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. A small Thanksgiving is a good Thanksgiving in my world. Enjoy your new purchases and I hope you niece has recovered enough to head back to school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a nicely pared-down holiday. It would have been perfect in my book. I really do like your string block in blues and browns. They're intriguing. This is the time of year I start itching to use my scraps, and in the middle of all my hubbub, ridiculously, I am also on the fence about doing the BH mystery. Yes, I will use her color picks this time, but enjoyed waiting until I saw how much her fabric differed from her color chips. I also opt for brighter. Perhaps I will see you there. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great Thanksgiving. I wish your niece a speedy recovery. We had a wind storm too, but we've had some earlier in the year so the trees are safe for now.

    ReplyDelete