Saturday, January 11, 2020

Scrappy Saturday #2, Wrapping Up Christmas

Angela decided to kick off 2020 with a beautiful, bright green for our Rainbow Scrap Challenge. That works out well for me. I'm trying to wrap up Christmas projects  and so my Green Scrap Bin is already out (along with the Red, Gold, & Backgrounds Bins! Ha!). So let's get started with what I'm working on.

I followed along with Suzn Quilts this year making Merry Christmas. We started this project the day after Christmas and got a daily clue for twelve days, leading up to Epiphany. I managed to get the top finished only a day or two after the last clue posted.
Twelve tiny, scrappy 3" blocks surrounding an embroidered 6" dresden block. Dresdens are Susan's signature! The project finished at 12-1/2" square and it would make a cute wall hanging or pillow. I'm leaning towards a pillow ... maybe to be gifted next Christmas! It has made it to the PHD2020 pile (Projects Half Done).

So what project(s) should I work on for RSC? That has been the dilemna for me. So many ideas floating in my head! I knew I wanted to use my book "Oh Scrap!" (which I received as a Christmas gift from my daughter a few years ago and I love Lissa Alexander's scrappy ideas) ....
... so I thumbed through the pages .... and thumbed through the pages .... and thumbed some more. At long last, I finally got my inspiration and decided on "Awesome Land" which is found on page 28.
I loved all the Plus Blocks that were made last year during 2019 RSC and I love the Churn Dash Blocks in the sashing. Cute little 6" blocks and mine will be in a rainbow of colors. Yay! Better yet, I discovered several 2" strips already cut in my Green Scrap Bin! Now to decide what color for my churn dashes. I'm leaning towards dark grays and blacks. I don't think I'll be doing mine scrappy as Lissa did so I'll need to do a little math to be sure I have enough fabric for it to be consistent.

The second project for 2020 RSC will be "Heartfire", a pattern by Lynn Wilder of Sew'n Wild Oats. I won this pattern a while ago. Won't this be pretty in rainbow colors too?
An acrylic hexagon template is recommended for cutting out the centers easily. I need to order one up to get started or maybe there's a way to cut the middles out without a template? We'll see ...

The Quilt Show kicked off their Block-of-the-Month on January 1st called "Afternoon Delight". The quilt was designed by the late Sue Garmen and it is stunning. She was such a super designer and, from what I understand, a beautiful person. This quilt is quite THE PROJECT. There are 40 applique blocks, nine modified churn dash blocks, and a ton of double 9-patch blocks. The first month will be available all year long on The Quilt Show and is the introduction to this quilt. You'll have to get a year's subscription for the directions. Check it out ... you'll want to join in too!

This month's clues are four applique blocks and two pieced ones. So far I've got two applique blocks dones and I made a good start on the third.

I think I forgot to post a few pictures from Christmas at our house. Bear with me if you've already seen these.
Morning coffee, sewing, and lit Christmas tree.
Doesn't get much better!

Hubby's new soundbar

All St. Louis Blues fans deserve a
Stanley Cup Champ skin for their tablets!

Merry Christmas from Waldorf MD

Don't let the cat out of the bag! Lol!

What's better than a Cookie Monster?

Two Cookie Monsters!

Mother/Daughter Love

My mother with my brother's kids


Ornament I made for Sarah's tree
On a sad note, my mother's sister (my Aunt Jinny) passed away last night. It wasn't too big of a surprise. Recently she wasn't doing too well and, after all, she did turn 91 last October. I know it'll hit home with my mom because she's been dreading this day. She is now the last of her family. I remind her that that's the way it is supposed to work because she was the youngest in her family. Circle of life and all that.
And so life goes on. In the meantime let's just concentrate on our sweet Brody.

That's enough for now, I think. Time to play with some fabric!

Linking up with Angela at So Scrappy! Bet there's a lot of green going on!

6 comments:

  1. Love your little Christmas green (and red) piece...so neat hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Merry Christmas mini turned out so cute! It will be perfect for a pillow. Your new pattern ideas look like fun ones, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your applique blocks are so nice, and I'm sure they'll be an amazing quilt. I love your bird ornament, too! So sorry about your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Land is going to make a lovely RSC project. LOVE it! My heart goes out to your mother on the loss of her sister. Expected or not, it's not easy to lose the ones you love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to read about your Aunt. Some interesting RSC ideas and I love your applique blocks. Great Cjhristmas pictures too. xx

    ReplyDelete