Saturday, December 23, 2023

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Post

Just stopping by for a quick post. It's been quite a while since I posted my blog on RSC but I've been sewing as much as possible. Things have really taken a turn around here. We've been dealing with my mother's cognitive issues for a while and, since she moved in, it affects all of us. I've got her back in P/T for balance, strength, and mental well-being. I have to say she's pretty easy to deal with since she doesn't resist much of what I ask of her. In general, she's a cheerful, funny gal and for that we're grateful!

I wanted to share a finish with you today. Awesome Land is a pattern by Lissa Alexander that is in her book "Oh, Scrap!" I started it in January 2020 and here is a link to my very first post of Awesome Land. We've had quite a ride with it for sure but it is now finished.


She finished up about 72"x72" so she'd make a great lap quilt or even a picnic quilt. Instead of Warm & Natural batting, I used Quilter's Dream this time and it is so soft & squishy. This one will be a joy to cuddle up in.


A peek at the backing I used and a bit of the quilting. I've since learned that circular quilting pantographs are much quicker to do than pointy ones. Maybe that's what happened here because this pointy panto took FOREVER to quilt!

At a local quilt shop, they give a monthly pattern for a doll quilt which they will later donate. We are encourage to use our scraps so last month that's what I used for my leaders & enders. It needs to be quilted & bound and then I can turn it in for donation. It is about 12"x18".

I'm keeping up with Twilight Stars QAL. Here are a few of the latest from this week. I still have about 5 weeks left to make up to be totally caught up which I plan to do by the end of January -- you know, after the holidays!


My other SAL is Red Threads, an embroidery block-of-the-week. Here are a few pictures of my latest blocks. I am 100% caught up with this one.



That catches you up on my sewing and my mother. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Peaceful New Year.

Linking up with Angela on SoScrappy.

12 comments:

  1. Being a caregiver is hard work, both mentally and physically. Your mom is blessed to have you. The quilt shop idea with the doll quilts is such a clever idea! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing your amazing AwesomeLand quilt!! I'm impressed that you've made such good progress on your other projects, too, with all you've got going on with you Mom. Kudos for keeping up with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Land is a beautiful finish, Susie! I remember when you were making those blocks. Glad you're still getting lots of sewing and stitching done. I'm sorry that you're dealing with your mom's cognitive issues - that is so hard to witness and experience. It's the same here with my mom - lots of memory loss and confusion to deal with. Thinking of you and sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your twilight star blocks are stunning. They look so precise. What a great QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your RSC quilt turned out beautifully. It looks like you are all caught up on so many projects! What a great way to finish the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Land is fantastic! I think the consistent black in each block helps tie all the scrappiness together. It’s a great RSC block!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so much easier to care for loved ones who have dementia when they are pleasant and happy! What a gorgeous quilt! Can’t wait to see your stars come together. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finish Susie. Have a lovely Christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful Twilight Stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty RSC finish, Susie!!! Interesting comment about round vs pointy pantos! I love your doll quilt and the idea of donating one monthly. Kudos to you, caring for your Mom! That is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A difficult time for you with your mum's declining cognitive issues. How wonderful you are caring for her; it can't be easy. Your Awesome Land is an amazing finish! Such a colourful and vibrant quilt

    ReplyDelete