Thursday, January 4, 2024

I Like Thursday #133

First I Like Thurs post of 2024. This year is starting off with a bang!!! The day after Christmas, we had company consisting of 7 adults and 2 dogs. That made my house a total of 10 adults, 3 large dogs, and a kitty. Quite the zoo around here. We snapped a quick picture of the dogs resting because it was a rarity. That's our 71# Gracie in the foreground, next is my brother's 80#, 1-year-old German Shepherd "puppy", and finally, laying at the front door is my niece's 3-year-old, 85# Golden Retreiver Mac. That's a lot of dog in this photo!


This sweet picture is my 90-year-old mother on the right. Next to her in the middle is Mom's daughter-in-law Karen (married to Mom's son), and then on the left is Katharine, Karen's future daughter-in-law (who will be marrying Karen's son). Three generations of daughter-in-laws!
Fred tried to get a picture of all of us, except himself of course. We missed our niece this year, who probably could have gotten a shot of all of us including her selfie!
So the house settled down for a  day or two and then came a little renovation. Note in the picture above how the wall on the right is partially painted, partially not. I'd removed the wallpaper quite some time ago and decided I didn't like that job. Haha! On the left you can see the very dark wallpaper is still in tact. I decided to contract out the wallpaper removal and repainting of the dining room, entryway/hall, and front wall of my sewing room. Here are a couple of pictures after Fred & I cleared out the dining room.


HD Painting & Stain LLC showed up to begin the job January 2 at 6:45am. They stayed until 5pm and returned at 7am on the 3rd to complete the entire job. Here are a couple of in-progress pictures. YAY! The wallpaper has been removed. Don't you love how the previous homeowners painted that merlot red only down to where the wallpaper was going? That deep red was actually previously painted from there up to the ceiling. So very dark!

Of course, during the process Gracie wanted to be part of all the excitement going on. She managed to rub against a wall sometime during the job.
Gracie still wearing her paint souvenir!

Then Mom supported herself going down the hall and got fresh paint on her hand one time and then again on the outside of her hand up to her wrist later. So you see, the zoo continued well after the company left! Lol!

My kitty Polly was traumatized during the entire process.
Polly checking out the situation

What the heck is this all about?

Yikes! They're coming back!

A couple "finished" pictures. Next step, get things put back.



Light bulbs replaced while they were up there!
Worth every penny spent!!!

I put my sewing room pretty much back together first and quickly finished off my two Twilight Stars blocks for the week.

There was a lot of sitting time with embroidery in hand, waiting to see if anyone needed anything during the renovation. I ended up finishing the current Red Threads embroidery block during Mom's P/T appointment yesterday. I really like this fuchsia block.
New Year's Day we enjoyed the Rose Bowl Parade. We just love hearing & seeing the marching bands and admiring the beautiful floral floats.

This has gone on long enough. Suffice it to say that we are liking the "new look" in the front of the house, we enjoyed our company but are glad to return to normal, and we're looking forward to the next home improvement project. Stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. That's quite a house full you had, but I bet it was fun! The new paint looks wonderful. It must really brighten up those rooms. Is there more to come? Your Twilight Stars are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a fresh coat of paint to brighten things up!! Can’t wait to see all your stars together! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Busy time! It's nice to have some embroidery on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie - the lighter color in the house brightens it up significantly. Good choice! We haven't had cats for a while, but I remember well that "slinking" look when the cats were frightened by something.

    We missed the Rose Bowl parade this year - it is on my bucket list to see it in person one year! Joining you from I Like Thursday - I am the second link on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. polly's had enough! What a good looking family!

    ReplyDelete