Saturday, January 6, 2024

First RSC and FNwF Post of 2024

Happy Epiphany! We went to bed while the snow came down. The meteorologists promised not too much. Woke to a beautiful winter wonderland without too much snow on the ground. Here's a picture I took this morning on my walk with Gracie.


The snow brought out the husky in Gracie. She loved it this morning, romping around everywhere!


But I digress. This post is all about quilting. Cheryll in Australia hosts Friday Night with Friends every first Friday of the month. You can see what the others got done HERE. I did manage to slip away last night and have a date with my sewing machine. Previously I had put together a sweet little doll quilt. I decided it was time to get it quilted up. I'd like to turn it in on Monday during Quilt Club at my local quilt shop. It started like this ...

Look at this sweet fabric I was given quite some time ago. I thought it was perfect for the backing!
I quilted it with the familiar serpentine quilting, going along the twelve block seams and then diagonally through the blocks. After searching high & low, I found the navy piece of fabric that I used for the block centers. There was plenty left to do a sweet binding. When I shut down  my machine, I was at the point ready to hand-stitch down the binding. I know what I'll be working on today while I wait to see if the snow melts and the rain begins as promised by the weather folks.

Angela, our Rainbow Scrap Leader, has chosen bright and/or dark green for our January color. If you look carefully in the photo above, you will see some bright and dark green fabrics! Win-win! You can see more "green posts" right HERE at our RSC Linky Party. Feel free to join in also. There's always room to see what you're up to as well!

I would like to get another set of pineapple blocks completed this year to go with the ones from RSC2023. Because I don't want to make green pineapples (I'd like mine fully ripe, please! Ha!) I will try to get some of the tops cut so I don't have to scramble around when I'm sewing my colorful pineapples. I also want to make a few table runners and table toppers this year. I've got an idea using dark greens for my first one so I plan on working on that this month.

Do you remember these Uptown blocks? I plan on trimming them down all 32 blocks, making the setting triangles, and sewing this top together this month. The triangles are cut from the same dark green fabric you see in the photo above so I'll be in keeping with RSC.

I think that's a wrap. Stay warm if you're in the Northern Hemisphere and keep the A/C blowing if you're in the Southern Hemisphere!

10 comments:

  1. It's snowing here today too, although we're not expected to get much accumulation. Your doll quilt is adorable. Congrats on a cute first of the year finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green pineapples, that is a fun thought. Glad you are using the time to get organized. Looking forward to seeing the uptown blocks come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty scene for your walk with Gracie! We're dry as can be here, and could use some snow. I love your little doll quilt - looks like a fun block for using scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you at FNWF - the snow scene looks lovely - we have the air con blowing! and even in winter its usually quite mild.
    Have fun with your greens. I am joining in again ...but haven't made a start yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun block in your doll quilt. Using up bits of all colors is my kind of block! And the backing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The doll quilt is pretty, I'm sure the binding has been stitched down by now. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your colourful pineapples in the months to come. I'm yet to start RSC, still away on holiday, returning home shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice projects to link to RSC. The little quilt is cute and it will be nice to see your Uptown blocks turn into a quilt. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those uptown blocks are going to look wonderful set off by that pretty green. Good luck with your goals this month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your doll quilt is beautiful as are your blocks. Love your header photo and the snow photos.

    ReplyDelete