Saturday, May 30, 2020

Last of the RSC Green Saturdays

This is it! Last Saturday of May which means it is last Saturday post for dark greens. We're all wondering what color Angela will select for June. Many are hoping for a warm color and here and there I hear someone looking for purple. Hmmmmm ...... Well, anyway, here's what I've been working on. If you'd like to see what others have done, you can find it all HERE. Angela hosts a wonderful Linky party!

Earlier this week someone from my neighborhood posted she had a free baker's rack if you want to pick it up at her address. There was a post underneath saying the baker's rack had moved but it didn't fit so it was now located at her house with a new address. A couple of hours had passed but there were no further posts. I decided to see if it was still by the curb. Hot diggity! There it was! So I loaded it up and drove home.

It was obvious this baker's rack used to live in a kitchen because there was a bit of an issue of grease build-up but nothing 409 & elbow grease couldn't handle. I cleaned it up and it now resides in my upstairs sewing space. It even holds my small TV just fine!
Sooooo, in the process of moving the bins to the baker's rack, I found an unexpected UFO I  had started last year with the intention of having it completed for this summer. I was making it patriotic and had gotten as far as the red & white 9-patch cornerstones & border. All the fabric choices were there as well as the pattern. As I looked at what I had already sewn, I remembered I wasn't thrilled with my sewing. The flying geese units had points cut off because I didn't have my Deb Tucker geese trimmer at the time. Oh well, I decided to jump back in because, in the famous words of someone, "Better done than perfect!" So that's what I did  although it's not quite done yet! There are six 9-patches in the bin above it that will get attached to the ends with some spacers and then a final border.
Sheesh! From here you can't even see that the star points aren't that great! So glad I'm getting this one done. The pattern is called Looks Like a Gameboard from Country Threads.

While sewing Gameboard, I of course used Awesome Land blocks for leaders & enders. Got four more done which makes 6 for the month. There are two more cut out and ready for sewing and the month is not quite over yet! *wink*
I made fabulous progress on Kyoto. Last week I was working on border #2, the dark blue. I finished that and am close to done with the final border. All that's left are the two long sides of border #3, another stripe fabric. I've started one of the sides with the rest of it pinned.
I did manage to finish the last applique block of April for Afternoon Delight. Pretty sure I won't get the four May blocks done before June 1st! Ha! I love the purples in this block. I won a package of scraps from Jan Patek and these were in there!
That just leaves Bloomtopia, the cross-stitch project from Fat Quarter Shop. I got the little bird on a branch finished up last night while waiting for the Tater Tots to cook. Wonder what the next section will be!?!
To keep you up-to-date on hubby's health, we went to the doctor's this week. The output numbers have improved significantly lately so we're giving that kidney 2 more weeks to shape up or it'll be forcibly shipped out! Lol! Anyway, we're keeping our fingers crossed that this is a positive trend and he gets to keep the remaining portion of his right kidney. Time will tell and prayers are appreciated!

Have a great weekend! Now go wash your hands AGAIN!

9 comments:

  1. That baker's rack is nifty! Looks like a fun (and useful!) piece to have in your sewing room. I love the red, white, and blue project, and such pretty greens in your Awesome Land blocks. I think you've been really busy, and so glad your hubby's numbers are going up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice score in that Baker's Rack!! You made some really good progress on your projects this week. A freshly found UFO, RSC blocks, and more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading your story about the Baker's Rack--thrifting can be so much fun. After reading your post I realized I have a Baker's rack in our man-building that might work in my sewing room, hmmmm. Your patriotic quilt is beautiful as are all of your applique blocks which are perfection! Great news for your hubby and I hope all continues to get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been busy...your repurposed kitchen unit looks great in your sewing space. Your unexpected UFO looks good too & I love your applique & blocks.
    Congrats on a fantastic effort...xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. That stuff by the side of the road can really move fast. Last week neighbors put four big flower pots out, and they were gone in 1/2 an hour.
    Wishing your husband all the best. The stress of waiting to see what the body wants to do can be rough. Glad we have quilting to get us through life's ups and downs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your upcycled new sewing room furniture and your progress with your discovered UFO. It's looking great. Fingers crossed that Your Guy continues to improve this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bakers rack was a great find - useful too! Nice work on all your projects. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Awesome Land blocks are coming along! Leaders and Enders make for fast block finishes! That UFO is the cutest! You’ll have it done in time fore July!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The things people throw away!!!

    I think your rwb quilt looks wonderful from here. And the rest of your projects look pretty darned good too!

    ReplyDelete