Monday, September 23, 2019

Movin' It Forward

Today is Monday. What have I been movin' forward lately? Two words -- Hospital Sketches. This past week I finished Block #8 of Barbara Brackman's Hospital Sketches. You can find this free pattern on her Civil War blog.
When I added this block to the others, the project looked like this.
Now this may or may not be the final layout. We'll just have to wait and see what the two holes end up looking like!

In the meantime, I have gone back to do the very first block. Actually I did the large version of Block #1 already. It's the large wreath in the middle. I've now started the "sprout" #1 block and I've purposely changed up the colors because I felt like it should look different than the wreath.
The 9th and final block will be published Wednesday. I've got stitching to do and I'm already wondering if there will be an outer border or not and, if so, what should it look like?

Here's my question to you though concerning the pineapple blocks in the corners. Should they all point inward or outward making the bottom ones look upside down? Or should they all be right-side up? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this design element.

Now I'd better get back to the applique at hand. Wednesday is only the day after tomorrow!

Linking up at Em's Scrapbag for Movin' It Forward Monday! Make it a great week!

6 comments:

  1. Your applique is looking fabulous!! As for the pineapple blocks, I'd say it depends on your desired use for the quilt, on the wall vertically or horizontally laid out on a bed. Antique quilts were designed with beds in mind, so traditionally I would think that the pineapples would all be positioned with their bottoms pointing to the quilt corners and their tops pointing to the center of the quilt. That way, when the quilt was on a bed, all the pineapples would be hanging at the sides of the mattress looking "right side up." If your quilt is destined as a wall hanging, you might want to reverse that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It will be a wallhanging at this point. It's only 36" square but I'm contemplating borders. Not sure the final size but more than likely will remain a wallhanging.

      Delete
  2. That's a gorgeous quilt; such beautiful work! As for the question, is this a wallhanging or for a bed? That might help with the decision. It looks okay to me as is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susie. I am looking at your layout picture re pineapples - as you have laid it out your 4 side blocks all point upwards and the pineapples inwards. I like the pineapples pointing inwards and would rotate the top two side blocks 45 degrees so that they point inwards too. Does that make sense? xx Lovely blocks by the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lin. I'll see how it looks if I rotate those 2 side blocks 45 degrees. Didn't think about doing that!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete