Saturday, February 15, 2020

Orange is SEW FUN!


I can happily say that I have my 9 orange blocks completed for February's Rainbow Scrap Challenge. These Awesome Land blocks are a lot of fun to sew. I think it's because you can actually see the fabrics I'm using. They're made using 2-1/2" strips and these blocks will finish at 6".


Here's a peek at the nine orange blocks playing with the nine green blocks from last month. Sew much FUN! Having only this project going for 2020 RSC has really lightened up the pressure for me. 




However .... I feel like I should have one more project in the works so I've started on Heartfire by Sew'n Wild Oats. I love hexies so I figured this was right up my alley. I'll be playing catch-up with this one so stay tuned!
I'm linking up with Angela at So Scrappy to share my ORANGE progress. There are lots of other quilters doing their own thing HERE. So much delightful oangeiness! (Is that a word? Lol!)




In the meantime, I finished the first of two socks. I discovered this pattern already printed out but I have no idea when I did it or if I had a specific yarn in mind? The pattern is called Margaritaville ... that may be enough of a reason to knit it up! The yarn I'm using is from Flat Feet. It's apparently dye-ready yarn knitted up by machine. Then it's dyed and I unravel it as I knit with it. You get two identical pieces. This is not the first time I've knitted with this kind of yarn. I've actually got two other pairs already knitted up. Just forgot to take any pictures of the yarn before knitted. I remembered this time though! One sock done and the other just barely started so you could see what it looked like before unraveling and after knitted.


Here's a picture of another pair of socks using Flat Feet yarn. The sock on the right has been blocked and the one on the left has not. I actually wore these socks yesterday!


I love knitting socks!



I also made progress on the block-of-the-month from The Quilt Show. Another appliqued 6-3/4" block done for the pattern Afternoon Delight by Sue Garman. The next block is in the "prep stage".
Wait until you see it ... should be another pretty one!

One last quick picture: I walked the dog Thursday morning around 7am. It was FREEZING COLD here in the Midwest, Illinois to be precise.  4 degrees is very cold but the wind made it colder ... -7! Kept the walk short -- only about 30 minutes and 1.5 miles. BRRRR!!!! 

Hope your Valentine's Day was special. Have a great weekend!

15 comments:

  1. Your Awesome Land blocks for the RSC look amazing up on the design wall! Enjoy your new project and those lovely new socks, too. I've never knit from a sock blank. I won one, but traded it for another prize on retreat, as I'm not much of a sock knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great block - In Indiana we went from 31 degrees in the morning to 3 degrees after dark. brrr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temps have been quite crazy lately, for sure. Guess that what's called transition!

      Delete
  3. I would say that you did really well to get in 1.5 miles in that windchill - brrrr! I like your Awesome Land blocks - the colors are playing nicely together. And the hexie quilt looks like it will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in agreement! The Awesome Land blocks are “awesome”! I’m in awe of those who knit socks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sock knitting is what I want to do properly, I've started but not making much progress.your RSC blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad we don't live closer ... I'd help you along with knitting some socks!

      Delete
  6. The awesome land blocks look great! I haven't knit socks in a while because i am so upset whrn i wear a hole in my handknit socks. But on cold nights like these i guess i could wear them to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your RSC blocks look great together & will make a wonderful quilt.
    Love your socks too... keep warm... xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty blocks and love the socks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I HATE the cold. But sewing up orange helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool sock yarn and I love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was inspired by your Awesome Land RSC blocks and decided to start my own version in just orange scraps. Your scrappy colors look great! Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never seen those Awesome Land blocks before I really like those. I haven't knit since high school which was oh so long ago but a few years ago I did buy some sock yarn and patterns for some crochet socks. I have never even given them a second look. I keep thinking I will make them a summer project when it's too hot to hand quilt a big quilt. Maybe this will be the year. I sure like the look of knit socks.

    Brrr is right. Didn't know you were in Illinois. I'm across the river in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to add to the chorus of raves for your awesome Awesome Land blocks! Don’t be surprised if you see some RSC’ers following your lead on that design. Stay warm! I wimp out at temps below 25F.

    ReplyDelete