Saturday, July 18, 2020

Checking In with RSC & FNSI

As you may recall, I'm playing catch up with some of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks this month. I caught up my Awesome Land blocks last week which I posted HERE. This week I tried to work on a few (no, I was actually thinking I could do all 7!) Heartfire blocks in bright green, January's color. Here's the four I worked on and, as you can see, these are not finished.
Part of the reason I lagged on those is because I was working on Star In a Star. Those Celtic cornerstones took a long time to prep and that's all I got done on those this week. They're glued in place and just waiting to be machine appliqued down. Maybe get a start on them this week?
My other distraction was Winnie the Pooh. I want to get this one done and out in the mail SOON but I'd been dragging my feet because I couldn't make a decision on the backing. I saw some cute Pooh fabric online but order processing & mail is so slow right now at times that I couldn't see taking that chance. I also visited one of my LQS but didn't find anything appealing. Then all of a sudden I remembered WAAAAAAY back I had made a Winnie the Pooh (different than this one but still Winnie-themed) and had used some Pooh fabric in it. Did I still have any of that left? I dug deep in my  mind to try to remember what the fabric actually looked like so I'd know what bin to scour and sure enough, I found it!!! It measured about 12"x 42".
It is pieced into the back with a bright yellow fabric and is sure to be cheerful. Next task is to find a 54" square of batting. I dug around this morning and found two pieces that, when sewn together, will be just right! Now it's all about finding time to finish this puppy up!

Of course my week would not be complete without a squirrel. Very Busy Monkey on Ravelry has a free mystery knit-a-long going on for a pair of socks. I absolutely LOVE her patterns so I downloaded what she had and completed Clue 1 last night during Friday Night Sew-In. I knit two-at-a-time so it takes me a little longer to get the clues done but here is a picture of my yarn and my progress so far. Thanks to Wendy for hostessing FNSI again this month!
Clues 2 & 3 have been released as they are coming out on Thursdays. You can find all the information HERE if you'd like to join in too! There's only one more clue but the downloads are still available!

Now I'm hoping to make some progress this week on all these projects but mostly I'm planning this week to enjoy my DIL & Brody's visit. They arrive tomorrow (Sunday) and will hit the road again to go home Tuesday morning. Yes, short but oh! so very sweet!! Amanda sent this picture of Brody getting ready for the trip -- haircut time!
I also wanted to give a quick share of a funny thing Gracie & I saw on our walk the other day. We happened to be cutting through a subdivision and came upon this:
Linking up with Angela at SoScrappy later today. Have a perfectly-pink flamingo weekend! Lol!

10 comments:

  1. Hehehe! My brother did that 'you've been flamingod' to people last summer. Your Celtic quilt is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your progress and maybe it is time to start another pair of socks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your week “wouldn’t be complete without a squirrel”! I think that just about sums it up for us quilters. And like you, I’m a Winnie the Pooh fan. You’ve got so many cute things going on (not the least of which is your grandson). I hope you and DH are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty greens in your Heartfire blocks! Those Celtic cornerstones look very labor intensive, but will be gorgeous when done. Enjoy your visit with Brody, and thanks for the flamingo smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thing you dug deep into that stash and have now used up fabric that otherwise would go stagnant.

    I don't knit but I bought sock yarn and a booklet and crochet hooks to make socks about 7 years ago. Maybe I should dig that stuff out and give them a go now that I'm retired and trying to use up all the "stuff" I've accumulated over the years.

    My sister was flamingoed a few years ago. I think she paid to have them moved on to flamingo someone else even though she loves flamingos. What a fun prank. I actually have dozens of them back in my garden that my husband bought me for a joke about 20 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went back to the flamingo photo and noticed they are all wearing masks! Too funny! If flamingos can do it, why can’t we? Heehee,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it great to find just the right backing fabric in the stash, tucked away waiting to be found for just the right project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bits of Dark BLUE in all of your projects. Happy quilting (and knitting!) Are those cables I see on your Mystery Sock?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been busy - lots of nice things going on. Enjoy your visitors. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems to be harder for us to resist so much temptation to be found on the net. But it keeps us busy and productive mostly. :) Lovely knitting and two at a time...I'm impressed. Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete