Thursday, September 1, 2022

I Like Thurs #87

Happy September! Lately I've noticed a few leaves on the ground under certain trees. Has it been the heat and lack of water that has caused this or is Autumn truly around the corner? Today is the first day of the first Fall month (September) after all. The days are getting shorter, the mornings taking longer to come around. I especially notice this because it's getting later & later for me to put out my hummingbird feeders. Which reminds me that we've probably only got about 6 more weeks of their buzzing happiness.

So what's been going on around here to like lately? I spied this beautiful spider web on my walk the other morning. Isn't the sun gorgeous glistening through the dewy web? It almost looks like a bull's eye on the shed! Haha!

This past Tuesday I took Mom and her neighbor Dee to see the movie "Where the Crawdads Sing". Mom & I had read the book but surprisingly Dee had not. All three of us loved the movie though!

My friends at retreat had told me that the movie would not disappoint whether you'd read the book or not. They were right! I recommend either or both.

Our prompt this week is any warm "back to school" memory. I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank. We of course got some new school clothes but mostly what we needed. Same went for our supplies. We went through our old stuff and got new what we needed. It wasn't made a big deal of in our house. Very practical upbringing, I guess.

I will say that this time of year is when I collect "office" supplies due to the sales. I love these mechanical pencils by PaperMate They make a very fine, visible line for sewing and cutting HSTs.

I also look for the Elmer's School Glue. It works wonderfully for applique and tricky-to-match seams.

Upon occasion, I have been known to pick up a 3-pk of pretty gel pens. I really liked the last ones I got but I can't remember the brand or the particulars. There was a pink, a purple, and a light blue pen in the pack. I've had them stolen lost them along the way and would love a fresh pack. I'll definitely be on the lookout for them.

I'll bet the other "I Like"rs will have better school supply tales to tell than I. Check here at Not Afraid of Color for more back-to-school fun!

8 comments:

  1. It seems that we all like new pens and/or pencils. Put us all in an office supply store, and what fun we could have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite the spider web! So glad to know you liked the Crawdads movie. I had heard that it was good, and people like it who haven't read the book. It seems a lot of us like gel pens - I just bought a new pack, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stationary shopping is ALMoST as much fun as fabric shopping...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy September, Susie. I am starting to see leaves fall too . I love autumn but I do enjoy the long days of summer. Back to school time is the perfect time to get office/ quilting supplies. I do the same. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those big spider webs in the sunlight. Mechanical pencils are the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susie, that was a nice capture of that beautiful web, a work of nature's art. I love mechanical pencils also for drawing on cloth. I've noticed the daylight getting shorter and a few leaves on the ground. Yes, definitely moving into another season here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve noticed lots of spider webs lately too. Great picture! Fall is creeping up on us. I notice it getting dark earlier in the evening. I read the crawdads book and my friend and I went to see the movie. Loved both the book and the movie. Have a great weekend Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  8. elmers is awesome in the studio. I like paste sticks for paper work and to hold fabric temporarily. The spider web is so cool

    ReplyDelete