Saturday, November 5, 2022

MIA with My Friend at Retreat

Hard to believe but my last post was almost a month ago, October 6. The last month just flew by and I was gone for much of it. Let's continue from October 7 and see how far we can go. I sure don't want to overwhelm anyone!

My best friend arrived on Friday, October 7th, traveling in from Knoxville TN. We got squared away on Saturday and left Sunday for retreat at Kinderhook IL. If you're wondering where on Earth that is, it's about 30 minutes due east of Hannibal MO, home of Mark Twain! The grounds are lovely and there were about 16 of us in the main retreat lodge. Another group of my friends happened to be retreating at the smaller lodge so there was plenty of fun.

Anyway, here are some of the pictures that I took while there from October 9th - 13th. First up is my friend and me with our matching quilts. Primitive Gatherings had this pattern in their book "American Gatherings" and all it took was 5 charm packs more or less. We loved the scrappiness which also made our quilts similar but not identical.

I'm on the right

Here is a quilt I put together using a panel from quite a ways back. The yellow was a fabric that I bought at my LQS. It was the "color of the month" and I believe it was called Highlighter Yellow. The corner stones of two bats, one skull, and one pumpkin were freebies from April Rosenthal, a talented Moda designer. Visit her website here and click the Free Patterns tab at the top.

Take a look at this beautiful Christmas plaid quilt that my friend made. Isn't it gorgeous??? She found the pattern in a Quilts & More magazine. I don't know which issue -- sorry. I think this quilt would be a great gift for a graduate in their school colors too!

I managed to get another word sewn up in the Letters to Santa QAL. They really are fun to sew!

Of course I have to include a few pictures of quilts made by some of the others. This one was Sandy's. I just love the colors and the striped border she made for this panel.

I just LOVE this quilt by Jody. Wish I could remember the name of the pattern she used. Could it have been Flip Flop? Hmmmm. I don't know.

This quilt was nicknamed The Green Monster by its maker. Michelle had it all put together, didn't like the way the colors went so she ripped out A LOT of stitches and resewed it back together. Turned out  beautiful!

While I was retreating, hubby had his quarterly endocrinology appointment. He is a type-2 diabetic and once again his numbers weren't good. The doctor decided to slap one of these on him to help monitor his sugar levels for two weeks.

After a few days, it looked like this. Does anyone know if this is normal? He is on blood thinners so maybe normal for that?

When we removed it at the end of two weeks, it looked like this. We're thinking that if it was stuck somewhere else it might not bruise so much? We'll get the report from the doctor at the next appointment. I just thought I'd share since it was so odd! Ha!

I think that's enough for now. Stay tuned for the next October Chapter post.

Have a great weekend!


10 comments:

  1. So many pretty quilt photos. I want to try out all of the patterns, but especially those bats! What a great way to extend a quilt panel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your retreat sounds fun, and thanks for sharing all the great quilts! I love your R, W, and B twin quilts, and the Christmas plaid, too. I haven't seen a device like your husband had installed, but wonder if the bruising is just the skin's reaction to a "foreign" object putting pressure on it. ??? It will be interesting to see what the doctor says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great time at retreat. Sorry your hubby's numbers are off. No help on the bruising but I'd show the doctor these photo's if you can. Have a great month of November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely show and tell from your retreat. What did the doc say when the monitoring device was removed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice that your frien and you made not quite matching quilts, and had the opportunity to how them together. Retreats are fun. I love the plaid quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun to go on a quilting retreat with your friends, I always get lots done. I hope your husbands arm heals up. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the eye candy today. Looks like you've been busy this past month for sure. Hope you get a good report from your husband's doctor. ~~Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work going on at your retreat - and lots of fun too I am sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a doctor, but I do know from experience that people on blood thinners bruise more than most around injection sites. Love the corner stone patterns you used on your Halloween panel. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quilts are lovely! I would have called the doctor, at the first sign

    ReplyDelete