Saturday, February 11, 2023

Let's Do Some Pink!

To begin, I'd be remiss if I let Dark Blue January leave without a final picture. All of a sudden I realized that I hadn't finished the dark blue string zig-zags for the outer border of String-X. The blocks were made but not cut down to make the half square triangles and then assembled. So I set out to do just that ... and I did!


I mentioned last week that I'd started the Twisting Heart Valentine. It has now become a finished top. It's not super large and those squares finish at a mere 1-3/4"! It is just full of pink, isn't it? Let me show you the steps in pictures.

Sew together 3-1/2" squares

Using the Tiny Twister tool, cut out 2-1/4" squares
where the seams meet

Sew squares back together

Add a border and ...
voile! You're done!

Wasn't that fun??!!!

In the meantime I finally finished the January Uptown block. Lots of parts. Thankfully the February  block doesn't look as difficult so I might actually get caught up!

Has anyone seen "The Banshees of Inisherin" yet? It's up for a bunch of Academy Awards including Best Picture. Per Wikipedia, this is what it's about:

"The Banshees of Inisherin is a 2022 black tragicomedy film directed, written, and co-produced by Martin McDonagh.[6][7][8] Set on a remote island off the west coast of Ireland, the film stars Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson as two lifelong friends who find themselves at an impasse when one abruptly ends their relationship, with alarming consequences for both of them"

"Black tragicomedy" is an excellent way to describe the plot. We found the Irish accents a bit difficult to understand but I enjoyed the movie even if a little disturbing. Of course there's a message within the movie -- hey! It's up for Academy Awards! Need I say more. I'd be curious if anyone out there has seen this movie yet and their thoughts.

Whether or not you watch the SuperBowl this Sunday, I hope you have a good weekend. Enjoy those half-time snacks!

Thank you, Angela, for continuing to inspire us to use our scraps each week on your SoScrappy blog.

14 comments:

  1. Your Twister Heart is so fun, Susie! I've never worked with or even seen the tool you use to do that cutting - does it cut the piece into those squares without a rotary cutter? The movie sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never seen the Tiny Twister Tool. Naturally, I went down the rabbit hole to investigate. The result - a perfect Valentine's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Twister Heart is SEW cute... and very PINK!!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twisting Heart Valentine quilt top is beautiful and just perfect for Valentine's month, Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awe that's a fun heart. I did one of those quilts and it's a bit time consuming, so kudos
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely use of the pinks... the twisted heart came out so well...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the heart wallhanging made with the little Twister. I took a workshop years ago and never finished my wallhanging, but it wasn’t a heart. You’ve inspired me. I’ll definitely have to give this a try again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your little heart quilt. I have that tool but have never tried it...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty pink heart, and love those blues too. Pretty Uptown block. Haven't seen the film, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pink Twister heart - and the placemats in your blog header.

    No Super Bowl here in AU - but a blistering weekend for us...currently 36 C or 95 F (and very humid)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Twisting Heart is so pretty, but just look at those tiny little pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh that heart looks complicated! Beautiful though. Sounds like our sort of film - will be watching out for it to come on TV. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that twisted heart! So cute and a perfect February project! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the blues in your zig zag quilt. Twisted Heart is so fascinating on how it was made. It looks so complex. You did such a wonderful job, Susie. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete