Saturday, April 6, 2019

Friday Night With Friends

Last night (and actually even yesterDAY) I made sure to spend some time with fabric. I'll try to catch you up with my fiddlings.

Thursday I woke up early -- as in 3:15am -- just needing to get into my sewing room. As I laid in bed I thought back and knew I was 3 blocks behind in my Tiny Tuesday blocks. I managed to put together this scrappy owl. Isn't he adorable??? Just 4-1/2" tall, there were lots of little pieces but I managed. He still needs his frame and I'll get to that in the next few days. Don't you think a whole quilt of owls would be cute? But I'd recommend doubling his size!
Tiny Tuesday Owl
As we all know, leaders & enders allow you to accomplish more quilting in between your current project. I got these two dresden plates sewn up while piecing my owl with the crazy eyes! Lol!
The red dresdens will join my green ones. The centers aren't sewn on yet but they are prepared. Going to be a pretty quilt as I sew along with Susan & friends HERE. As you can see, I'm very much behind but I'm assured that there is no pressure! Ha!

Yesterday afternoon I managed to squeeze in a little more time in the sewing room. Here is the last of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge green blocks for Tiny Tuesdays. This was a super easy block to piece after Mr. Owl and look! I even got this one framed! April's RSC color is AQUA. I'm not sure I have enough scraps of that color. May have to either dig deep or pick my own color this month.


Check out that third red dresden plate with the polka dots! Got it assembled while sewing together the Green Umbrella! Did I tell you how much I love the leaders & enders concept?
This brings me to last night, Friday Night With Friends. I happened to be reading Bonnie Hunter's blog and she reminded her readers about Quilt Cam at 8pm EDT (7pm here in the Midwest!). I thought how that was perfect timing -- I could sew with ALL my friends, including Bonnie Hunter! As the hubby was doing his thing, I plugged in the headset to my laptop and sewed with Bonnie too! You can watch last night's Quilt Cam HERE.

I don't know if you can see it, but I prepped the rest of the centers for the dresden plates for the Merry Christmas Sew-a-Long. Not a hard project but lots of tiny stitches in a circle means you can't just whip along! Eighteen centers done, which includes the five that were done earlier sitting on the green plates, and only eight plates ready. Must.keep.sewing.dresden.plates!
After Quilt Cam was over, I suggested we watch an episode of NCIS on-demand. With our travels we had missed the last one and hubby was in favor. I decided to work on Hospital Sketches. Again, it doesn't look like much but I'm satisfied.

My needle is sitting on a leaf that I was working on after finishing the three leaves above that pink flower. When my thread runs out, I'll go back and get that flower!
Hospital Sketches, of Barabara Brackman's Civil War Quilts blog, is coming right along and looks really pretty. I plan on following a little different plan. I think that is a wise decision since I'm having trouble even remotely keeping up. This 18" block will go in the middle and I'll applique the Bloom Blocks to surround it. They're smaller, less complicated versions of the intended blocks.
I'll leave you with one more picture from our vacation. This is Mom & me enjoying a little sunshine during Amanda's baby shower. We are sporting our special ribbons that Amanda got for us. Mom's says "Great Grandma-to-Be" and mine says "Grandma-to-Be". That daughter-in-law is so thoughtful!
Linking up with Scrap Happy HERE and Friday Night With Friends HERE.

12 comments:

  1. That little owl is darling. It "almost" makes me want to make the mini blocks... but I have enough I've gathered through the years. You did a good job catching up. I really like your Christmas dresden blocks. Congratulations on the new grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes that owl is TINY! Thanks for the congrats -- I'm looking forward to my first grandbaby!

      Delete
  2. Love your dresden plates, so delicate! Pretty appliqué too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving those Owls! And I love applique so be still my heart but I get not being able to keep up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an adorable owl with the flowery eyes, and I love your little Dresdens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping in for FNwF... & you are working on some lovely projects... xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you're going to love being a grandma. It's the best thing ever! Love your owl and all the little Dresdens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Susie. I love the little Dresdens and your owl is so cute. Beautiful applique flowers too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say there's some AQUA-ish fabric in that spectacular applique block of yours. Best of luck on your altered plan for that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Om my goodness! The owl eyes are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute owl, great sewing too. Congratulations....its best job in the world, being a grandma.....

    ReplyDelete