Saturday, August 17, 2019

I Had the BEST Time!

What a wonderful day we had yesterday. It was in the works for a bit due to many schedules to check and adjust. You'd think we had "jobs" but we're still busy folks.

At 11:30 my husband & I drove down to Mother's, about 1/2 hour away. We waited until she got home from her hairdresser appointment. Looking lovely, we loaded her in the car and off to St. Louis we went. We arrived at the St. Louis Art Museum around 1:00 and had a hard time finding a parking spot. The lots were packed! Understandably so since it was FREE FRIDAY and there was a special exhibit of Paul Gauguin's work! Inside it wasn't so bad. Not sure where all the people actually were but it is a large museum. Anyway, here are a few of my favorites.
My absolute favorite!


Did you know he dabbled in pottery?

What about wood carving? He would then add paint to his sculptures.
This is Eve in the Garden of Eden




His life story was interesting. His father was French and his mother was French-Peruvian. He married a Danish woman with whom he had 5 children. He was a successful stock broker and art was merely a hobby. After the Paris stock market crash, he decided to pursue art as a career. He started in France but soon felt he needed to go to the French colonies of Tahiti, Marquesas, and such. His wife did not accompany him. While in these "primitive" (his observation) locales, he lived with very young women. One was as young as 13! And these women bore him more children! Needless to say he ended up getting syphilis and you can see that in his later works. During this time, he also seemed to get more religious.

On the way out of the museum, I spied this tile work. I absolutely LOVE mosaics and this one was gorgeous. I've got no details on it because we were on our way out but I did manage to snap a picture.

We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon. Hubby & I were home by 5 and it was time to get dinner on since it was also Friday Night Sew-In for me! While preparing dinner, I was mentally going through my projects, trying to decide what I wanted to work on

I ended up pulling out my Tiny Tuesday blocks. One last pink TT block didn't have its frame on and there were two blue TT blocks to be sewn. And before going to bed, I had them done.


I must leave you with one last picture. My DIL sent me this one of Brody the other morning. She said he was getting in good tummy time while enjoying/studying the quilt Grammy made for him. Isn't he the cutest??!!?? (I may be a bit biased! Ha!)
Have a great weekend!

Linking up with Wendy for FNSI at Sugarlane Quilts and also with Angela for Scrap Happy Saturday at So Scrappy! Jump on over to both of these sites and be amazed at what other quilters & embroiderers are doing!

13 comments:

  1. What an interesting exhibit at the art museum! Your Tiny Tuesday blocks look great - I still need to finish mine up with their borders. Your grandson will be reading before you know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun afternoon at the museum! Love your FNSI blocks. they came out great. I agree - he is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fortunate you are to be close to a large art museum. Love the art you shared. Your TT blocks turned out great. Your double nine patch is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely day with your Mother. Glad you were able to get some sewing done, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like you had an enjoyable day with Mother
    Great photos I loved this post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a big day...love your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great exhibition to see, glad you enjoyed it. Free too! Nice work on your little blocks and what a great photograph of Brody. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lin. It truly was a wonderful day and I've already started looking to see what other exhibits are coming our way.

      Delete
  8. Such a cute baby photo, checking out his ABC quilt. I've made one in this pattern, it is tucked away till my 20ish granddaughters settle down and produce the next generation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ABCs are definitely a fun pattern. He loves the bright colors I used. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Love all the pics... but especially the last one of Brody.
    He's a real cutie...xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryll. We sure wish we lived closer to see more often. Planning on a Fall visit. Thank goodness for the Internet and photos!

      Delete
  10. Love your blocks. What a great exhibition.

    ReplyDelete