Thursday, April 22, 2021

I Like Thursday #32

 I like winter but not in April. We received a couple of inches of snow on Tuesday. Our area hasn't received snow this late in April since WAY back.

Our drive to Hubby's doctor appointment yesterday

A couple of errands after the appointment

Poor redbud tree

Our back deck yesterday evening

The deck first thing this morning
I like that the sun came up and melted all the snow. I also like that the streets were dry as well as the bike trail. No slipping on (black) ice while taking Gracie for her walk yesterday morning. No falls to report and I really like that.

I like that, even after the snow and the below freezing temperatures, the sun came out and the trees looked happy on our walk. I like that the sky is a beautiful light, bright blue just like our color of the month for Rainbow Scrap Challenge.


Speaking of the RSC blues, I made progress on Brody's hoodie this week. Here's a sleeve in progress. I'm getting back into a little of the blue!

At my last retreat, a friend brought in my favorite black licorice. You can buy this nice-sized bag for only $1 at Dollar Tree. Yum! I like black licorice. I also picked up a bag of the red licorice, same brand, same price, same place. It was delicious too. No picture to show.

I finished the book I was reading the other morning, "A Stash of One's Own" by Clara Parkes. I enjoyed all the short stories about a knitter's yarn stash. I totally understand this concept on two levels: 1) as a knitter with a yarn stash; and 2) as a quilter with a fabric stash. Some were quite zealous in explaining why they "collect" yarn while others were almost apologetic and there were even some that didn't have any yarn except what they were currently knitting. I found that weird! Ha!

So now I've picked up another book from my library. I like that I could find this book online and have the library hold it for me. They will hold it for a week so that gave me plenty of time to pick it up.

The book is "When the Stars Go Dark" by  Paula McLain. Goodreads puts it in the categories of Mystery, Crime, Thriller. My kind of book! *wink* I checked this book out because Paula McLain has apparently written several books but I've not read any. I think I'll start now!

My quilt guild has a smaller meeting that meets on the 3rd Tuesday of the month called Quilt Club. Every month our fearless leader Katie comes up with a topic and then enlists other guild members to share tips & techniques for that topic. This month's topic was wool applique and Katie asked me and three others to share our experience with wool applique. I think we did a good job sharing some of our projects and discussing what were our favorite methods, supply shops, threads. We also discussed whether to fuse or not to fuse and, if we fused, what our favorite fusibles were. We also shared embroidery on our projects and Katie followed it all up with a demo of how she does wool applique. Yes, sir, jolly good show!

Because wool applique was on my brain for about a week before Quilt Club, I thought I'd start another wool project. Sorry you can't see my project but, rest assured, it is Polly Approved!

What's been going on in the kitchen lately? Sunday I cooked a boneless pork loin (not to be confused with a tenderloin). I followed THIS recipe by The Spruce Eats and it was delicious! Sorry, no pictures. While I had to use dried thyme, I was able to use some of my fresh sage & rosemary. Good thing I made this before the snow!

I also made some Cinnamon Scones. They are so delicious! And EASY! I found the recipe on the back of a bag of Hershey's Cinnamon Chips. They are hard to find around here. Maybe you can find them in your area. Here, it's usually during the holidays. However, you can also find the recipe HERE online and the chips are available on Amazon, but they seemed expensive to me. Anyway, it's by Taste of Home so you know it's a goodie!

My box of scones

And last but not least, I made these Cheesy Ham & Egg Hand Pies. Mom & I saw Pioneer Woman make them on her show on Saturday morning so I thought I'd give them a try Sunday morning. The ham I used was lunch meat but I also added 2 slices of bacon that I had cooked up extra a few mornings before. I also didn't use the poppy seeds that she used but I used Everything Bagel seasoning on the tops instead. Mom & I pigged out on these.
Looks good, eh?

Tasted even better with a little salsa!

And that, my friends, will do it for this week. I'll be linking up with Not Afraid of Color and then catching up what likes others have to share.

6 comments:

  1. April snows are a necessary evil around here! Ours should be all gone today, but more expected on Sunday, I think! Good moisture they keep saying! Thanks for sharing the recipes! I did pork this week too and finished it up making pork sliders baked in the oven. DH thought they were a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blue skies and pretty blooming trees. I'm hoping my blooming trees have survived all our cold and snow! I haven't read anything by Paula McClain either, but that sounds like something I would like, too. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG what a glorious list of likes! All the yummy food I'll be right over. Laughing at your kitty sitting right on the applique, totally centered. zen cat!
    your blooming trees are so pretty and is that a sweater? Beautiful yarn, I wish I was a better knitter to try a sweater. We had snow twice this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at that snow! Love all the green leaves. The scones and hand pies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susie, lovely post, I always enjoy seeing or reading about food. Scones are like comfort food to me. How nice to have Mom there to share those hand pies. Gorgeous sky photos too. Thanks for sharing it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm.... now that's some awesome cooking! Wish I could reach into the computer and grab one for breakfast! lol! Polly sure is a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete