Saturday, January 22, 2022

RSC Reds

This week was a cold week here in the Midwest. I walked Gracie with a wind chill of -9! No precipitation though so safe driving around here. That's a good thing since Mom had three places to be this week! Tuesday she had her quarterly podiatrist appointment. Thursday we were off to her hair appointment. That brought us to Friday for a follow-up/annual doctor's appointment. Her back is the same as it's been or possibly a little worse as I've noticed she's watching the clock to take more pills for the pain. The doctor said we are to start incorporating some stretches into her day and get her set up for both back-issue & balance p/t. That'll keep us running around, won't it?!? Thank goodness I'm not at all sad to do handwork! So what have I been up to?

I added block #2 to Gardenhurst. This pattern is by an amazing Australian quilt designer, Irene Blanck.

Block #1 (left) and Block #2 (right)

I finished block #1 of Uptown. I signed up for this BOM through Sentimental Stitches. Gay is reproducing an antique quilt and I was excited to do one with her. Check out the bits of red in here too. Just in time for RSC January - RED!


I also started the first embroidery block of Frosty McChill. There are 12 of these blocks offered from Pinker n Punkin Quilting & Stitching's blog. He's just about finished and it's just about time to trace out block #2. And check it out -- RED! Worked in a little more red for Rainbow Scrap Challenge!

Needs a little ironing but he's been a travelin' man!

And last but not least, I actually sewed on the machine a little for RSC Red. Can you believe it? I experimented with an idea for the border of my String-X top. Here's a memory refresher of the top,

I really need to sew this together!

After getting inspired by Bonnie Hunter, I decided to do a zig-zag border with strings. The outside of each block will get the same color zig-zag. Since that leaves out yellow and brown which are located in the center, I've decided I'll probably sew a narrow yellow border around the edge before adding the zig-zag. So here's my first border section.


Won't this add some zing! Do you see that bit of St. Louis Cardinals fabric? How about both of the Valentine fabrics? Just so much FUN! And boldly RED!

That's what's been happening around here. Now I need to zip on over to Angela's blog ( SoScrappy ) to see what everyone else has been up to. Have a great week!

10 comments:

  1. What an excellent week of stitching, Sue!! I'll be looking forward to seeing how those RED strings work into your String X quilt border.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blocks, and your String-X top is going to be a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You achieved a lot in between your "taxi service duties". Cute snowman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your zigzag strings are striking. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your applique blocks are just beautiful, Susie! Love your Frosty, too. Aren't they fun?! The zigzags will make a great border for the String X quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the backgrounds on the string x top! I always get stuck on using white! Maybe now I will stretch my wings and use a grey!
    stay safe and sew on !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous applique projects happening there. I lvoe your scrappy project - the zig zags will go well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in awe of your applique' blocks! The zig zags will be a fun addition to your String X quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your projects...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been much colder this year even in Washington DC metro area. But your red hot blocks warm up the studio nicely :-)

    ReplyDelete