Thursday, January 5, 2023

I Like Thursday #100

Happy New Year and welcome to the I Like Thursday posts! LeeAnna keeps us on track to think about what there is to like all around us. When you start looking around and focusing on the positive, life just gets better. Feel free to visit LeeAnna's blog Not Afraid of Color to see what others are sharing as well.

We had some balmy-for-January weather here earlier in the week. Broke a record with a 72 degree high on Tuesday. I don't care for that kind of weather in January, especially with the humidity on top of it. However, when my neighbor texted me with a spotting, it was easy to find this guy in our backyard by the lake! I think he was looking for the weakest duck! Ha!


Before leaving for home after Christmas, my daughter asked me to look for her cat Jake's toy mouse. It's his favorite toy which is why she brought it. When I pulled the bed apart to wash sheets, there it was! I promptly took it to the Post Office and mailed it Priority Mail. It arrived today and Sarah sent this picture to me. Look how happy Jake is, playing with his toy right away! Penny, on the hand, just likes to sit pretty!

I also received a text from my DIL saying my youngest grandson had popped a 2nd bottom tooth. You can't see it but look at this face! What a beautiful complexion and my! oh my! those eyes! No comments, please, on the hair. Grammy & Grampa think he needs a haircut but we're 800+ miles away .... *wink*

My orchid has got several blooms on the original flower stem. I almost cut it off after our Fall trip but looky! looky! The first has bloomed again. In the meantime, another flower stem has started growing and it looks like there are buds forming there also!


I'm still reading and enjoying "Sworn to Silence". You can read the Goodreads synopsis HERE.

I don't always remember or acknowledge the prompt that LeeAnn puts out to us weekly but this one struck me perfectly. "Is there any class you'd like to take?" Actually, I'm seriously considering a class on long-arm quilting at my local quilt shop. I've got some quilts that would benefit from pantograph-type quilting. I also think it would be the perfect opportunity to see if I can do it. I've gotten various input from friends about long-arm quilting.

  • It's kind of a hassle to gather up everything you'll need to take to quilt
  • It's no hassle -- have bobbins & foot packed at all times so you're ready
  • You've got to plan ahead -- reserve a machine for your use; have backing, batting, and top together; etc
  • Be sure to wear comfortable shoes and take plenty of water/drink
  • The shops are so helpful while you're there
  • It is very hard on your neck & shoulders
There it is: the good, the bad, and the ugly. I think I'll try it out. I'd sure like to put a dent in my quilt tops. I doubt it'll stop me from quilting on my domestic machine because I do enjoy that process. However, it takes quite a long time and is laborious with the weight & size of the quilt. Wish me luck!

So there they are -- my first "likes" of the new year! Have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. That is a lot to like here, Sue. I especially like the photo of your grandson, hair and all, so precious. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like that kind of weather in January either, but here in north Texas we often get cold one week and 70s the next. Give me real winter weather please. ;) Your grandson is beautiful. I hope you enjoy your class (if you take it). I took the plunge with a new longarm last year and am learning it by myself, and although yes it can be a strain for the neck and shoulders, it is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful eagle photo, Susie! I'm always amazed when we see them around here. That looks like a happy little grandson you've got there! I have thought about those longarm classes at the LQS, too. It would be great to know how to do it so a few quilt tops could be finished more quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That eagle looks very regal in that photo, overseeing his territory. Your grandson is adorable, and so are those kitties! Take the longarm class and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, I like the hair, the eyes and the look on his face of accomplishment! as a nanny I used to say, show us your choppers! I thought those long arm classes were brilliant, and then you could rent time on the machines and actually finish big quilts!
    and eagle! awesome capture. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool eagle! Good luck with the longarm. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Eagle, cute Cats....but your grandson steels the show. That darling face and I love his hair! Wish you a fantastic year with lot's of quilting time, health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete