Thursday, January 12, 2023

I Like Thursday #101

Good morning! It's Thursday and you should know by now what that means. Us "Likeable" bloggers will be posting about things that have made us smile, made us think, made us happy in whatever way and then sharing these "Likes" with you and others over at LeeAnna's blog, Not Afraid of Color. Check it out HERE.

First up for me is I like putting together jigsaw puzzles. I found this puzzle down in the basement and don't believe I've ever put it together. I'm also thinking my daughter passed it along to me. After the company left from the holidays, I pulled it out and started to work. It's 1000 pieces so not too big, yet big enough for a challenge. The last pieces went in yesterday afternoon. It reminded me of the warm afternoons we had in Hawaii. I sure liked them too!

I also finished the book I was reading, "Sworn to Silence" by Linda Castillo. It was very good and I would recommend it if you like murder mysteries. It also gave me a little insight to the Amish community which I found interesting.

Of course I had to start a new book, "The Bangalore Detectives Club: A Novel" by Harini Nagendra. I couldn't find it at the Cloud Library so I checked it out as a hard copy from a local library. I can't remember how I heard about this book, maybe on TV? or the NY Times Best Sellers List? A fellow blogger? Anyway, I'm barely into it but it's interesting so far. Set in India, the names are a little confusing for me but I think I'm keeping everyone straight so far. If you want to see what it's about, here is the Goodreads synopsis.

Gracie and my morning walks have been warm lately. No need for long johns under my sweats nor a big heavy winter coat but cool enough for Gracie. We both liked the weather this week. Too bad it looks like we're in for a change.

We watched the original "Top Gun" with Mom the other night on Prime Video (I believe). Mom had never seen the first one. We hope to watch "Top Gun: Maverick" again this weekend.

Our prompt this week was do we use calendars and, if so, what kind. Yes, I like my calendars. I use the Google one on my phone for immediate use and to list quilt group activities and my housemates' doctor appointments. The calendar I really LOVE, LOVE, LOVE is the one I receive from my DIL every year with Brody and now also Jacob on it. We hang it on the wall in the kitchen and everything from my Google calendar gets transferred over to it. No excuses from anyone about not knowing of upcoming appointments or activities! Plus we get to see and remember the grandkids' antics from the past year.

That'll do for this week. I hope you find some bright spots in your own upcoming week. I can tell you that I'll be happily watching the Australian Open Tennis which kicks off this Sunday morning! *grin*

8 comments:

  1. I've been reading The Bangalore Detectives Club, too! It's so interesting to have a story set in a place with an unfamiliar culture. We liked the new Top Gun movie - good, entertaining fun! Your calendar with the grandkids' pictures is the perfect Christmas gift - smart DIL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We’ve done some puzzles too ! Always fun! I saw that book (The Bangalore Detectives Club) on Little Penguin Quilts and added it to my to-be-read list. I haven’t looked for it yet, got 3 books for Christmas, that I’ll read first. I have wanted to do one of those photo calendars! I need to make that happen for 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's important to think about "what we like" at times... keeps us positive. Thanks for the "good reads" advice. Happy stitching xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susie! Oh, that calendar with your grandsons on it is fab, isn't it? We have one hanging on refrigerator that I make for Sue's Mom. Sue requested one last year so now I just have two printed at Walgreens. It has birthdays and anniversaries on it plus pictures of the littles and adults (when I can get them). My sister used to be a huge tennis fan - I haven't heard about the Australian Open for a number of years since she passed. Enjoy! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love jigsaw puzzles. Been too long since I've done one! Aren't personalized calendars fun?

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a pretty personal calendar! Pays to have models for grands! Gosh I love jigsaw puzzles! Our senior center in Annapolis had several tables of puzzles going for people to drop into and you can get to know someone over a puzzle! I read the Baby Ganesh detective series and fell in love with the characters and author but the library didn't have the latest one, wah!!!
    https://www.goodreads.com/series/162646-baby-ganesh-agency-investigation

    ReplyDelete
  7. We bought a puzzle in 2018 that we packed and moved with us, and I found it the other day. We keep vowing to get it out and do it. Your calendar is the most precious kind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one fabulous puzzle, Susie. I bet it was a lot of fun to piece as well. What a fabulous calendar . I know it warms your heart each time you look at it.

    ReplyDelete