Sunday, August 2, 2020

End of July PHD Report

I've really been trying to keep my nose to the grindstone. So many projects I'd LOVE to jump on board with but I'm keeping myself in check. Well, until August 16th when I'll be joining in on Gudrun Erla's next sew-along. You can find all the details on Gudrun's Quilt Crew group on Facebook this Tuesday. She'll let us know what pattern we'll be doing and fabric requirements.
But until then, I'm quilting, quilting, quilting! I finished up Winnie the Pooh. Now it's not on my PHD list but I did start it in June and finished it July 31st. Counts as a good finish!
I was hoping for some sunshine for the photo shoot but it just keeps raining. I took this picture while it was sprinkling and you can see the rain drops on our deck floor.

Sorry to say that I didn't write down the name of who gave me the brilliant idea of how to do the quilting. She had done a wall hanging and described her method for it and I thought it would be perfect for this little 46" x 46" quilt. I didn't want to detract from the characters! This is what I did following someone else's directions: Bernina stitch #4 (serpentine), stitch length 3.0, stitch width 5.0. I followed the vertical seams which are 2" apart. Then I was afraid that the channels in between (2" x 46") would be too long to stay secure so I quilted horizontal serpentine stitches 6" apart.
View from the back

Quilt Label - Used my Bernina Built-In Letters
This quilt will be mailed out sometime next week and it goes in the "Done" column!

The Star In a Star quilt has been my other focus lately. I managed to get the large 24" blocks assembled, the 12" Celtic knots for the outside cornerstones were completed at a recent retreat, the borders finished and the outside frame attached.


This big boy is 96" x 96" and is pictured without the outside frame. I didn't even have room in the basement to lay it out completely but I think you can get the idea. The top is now finished and I'll be basting and quilting it as quickly as I can but it will surely take some time!

Let's check my To-Do List at the start of the month and see how I did.
________________________________________________________________________

1. Quilt, bind, & label Winnie the Pooh - Finished!
2. Finish Patriotic Wall Hanging 100% - Finished!
3. Get Star in a Star top assembled. This quilt is due at my LQS on August 25th. It finishes as a queen-sized quilt. For credit at the shop, it will also have to be quilted, labeled, and bound. Definitely a big job for July & August. Currently, 5 of the nine 24" blocks are assembled and the top & side borders are complete. What's left? Assemble the final 4 blocks and finish the 4 border cornerstones. They are hand appliqued Celtic knots. Sounds like a hospital project to me! -  I ended up doing the applique by machine. The top is officially a flimsy!
4. Quilt, label, & bind Hope. - No progress here.
5. A little more progress on Eva Grace would be nice too! - A girl could dream, right?

So what's in store for PHD progress in August?

1. Get Star in a Star to the finish line.
2. Quilt, label, & bind Hope.
3. Stay caught up with Afternoon Delight applique blocks.
4. Get 7 Heartfire hexies done in RSC color PURPLE.
5. Get 9 Awesome Land blocks done in RSC color PURPLE.

That ought to keep me out of trouble. I'll check in with you around August 15th. Wonder how the others are doing with their PHDs. I'm going to see for myself right HERE and I invite you to see too!

1 comment:

  1. Your Winnie the Pooh quilt looks great! I love the serpentine stitch for quilting, too. Star in a Star is amazing! I don't think I had seen that one before - love it!

    ReplyDelete