Thursday, August 13, 2020

I Like Thursdays #2

 I like looking back over the week to see everything I have to be thankful for. Won't you come along to see what made me happy this week? If you'd like, you can also check in with Not Afraid of Color and read some of the other happy posts!

First off, I had some happy mail. Because I attended The Applique Society's annual meeting (virtually, of course!), I got this handy bag to store my projects. It has our logo on it so I'll ALWAYS know where it came from. Love the see-thru middle so I can easily see which project is currently in it. Pretty sure it'll hold my Afternoon Delight blocks as I work on them. I can put all the threads I'm using also in here with my scissors, needle case, and of course my thimble pads. Wouldn't applique without them!


If you enjoy applique, you really should look into joining too. There's a lot of useful info  & tips shared among the members!

My walk this week had some happy pictures too!

Pretty Hibiscus & Gracie

The Corn is as High as an Elephant's Eye!

Petunias say, "Don't Fence Me In!"

There are cantaloupes in there! Yum!
Think they'd notice one missing? Lol!

Saturday night and into Sunday morning we received over 5" of rain in a very short period of time. The pond out back flooded.

Paddleboat without a dock. Top of ladder just barely visible.

Water went up & over the dam ...

... and down the hill ...

... then around the shed before getting to the creek.

Now are you wondering why I liked this situation? Because it stayed away from my house! THAT made me happy!

Then Monday afternoon we got another weather alert warning us about a derecho. WHAT??? Here's what Google had to say about that:

de·re·cho
/dāˈrāˌCHō/
noun
US
  1. a line of intense, widespread, and fast-moving windstorms and sometimes thunderstorms that moves across a great distance and is characterized by damaging winds

I'd say that pretty accurately described it. Here are pictures around my neighborhood Tuesday morning. So thankful we only had sticks and leaves to clean up.
House by the Bike Trail.

Up the road from my house.
Large branch on the fence broke at circled spot.

Next door neighbor's flag was lifted out of base and now rests against fence.
(You can see how the pond water level has returned to normal too.)

It was DH's birthday last week and I made German Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches to celebrate! You can find the recipe  that I used HERE. I think I saved this recipe from a Saturday Seven post on
A Quilting Life's blog but I can't find the exact post.
Double Chocolate Cooke with Vanilla Ice Cream
Rolled in Toasted Coconut Flakes & Pecans

Mom Enjoyed DH's Birthday Treat, Too!

I didn't get a picture of the Birthday Boy eating his treat because he downed it so quickly! Lol!

How could I post without a quilty photo. This is what I'm working on -- quilting my Star in a Star. It's a monster! 100" x 100" = queen-sized!

I hope you had a good week too. It's raining again right now here in southern Illinois.  I think we've had enough already!

13 comments:

  1. Love seeing the TAS bag in your post! This weather is unbelievable (although given the way this year has been going, I guess nothing should surprise us anymore)! Impressed that you have been getting so much accomplished and are keeping up with posting. And even more impressed that you are quilting that monster on a domestic machine - that has to be a serious upper body workout! Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to our group! What a fun blog you have. That ice cream sandwich looks like a great treat. I had not heard of that type of storm before on the tv but glad you didn’t have major damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a nice place to long arm quilt!!! Hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, locusts, pestilence... last days??? yea to the water moving away from the house! You're so right, what a like for the week. Grace... sweetness... canteloups on the vine, yes please, they are getting enough water at least!
    Leeanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to I like Thursday. Thank you for sharing the awesome picture of the rain, glad the water had somewhere to go, and not toward your home. I learned what a derecho was from a book by William Kent Kreuger... isn't it amazing the damage it causes? The birthday cake looks awesome, and your quilt looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susie! I'm sorry I missed welcoming you last week - big welcome to the Thursday group. Aww, Gracie is so sweet - what a great walking partner you have. I'm in Wisconsin and we had that same high-wind and tornado-warning storm. We spent an hour in the basement and the rain was intense - pretty scary. That birthday treat look delicious and the picture of Mom enjoying it is fabulous. Wowee - that is a big quilt you're working on. I can't wait to see it finished - I'm working on a twin-size quilt myself. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed going on the walk with you and Grace! That was quite a storm that went through your whole region - lots of clean up everywhere. That birthday treat really sounds yummy! Looks like huge quilting job - have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW...looks like quite the storm... so pleased you really didn't get a lot of damage.
    Stay safe...xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - so many great likes! I'm a little jealous of your rain - but oof! So much! I'm glad it stayed away from the house. Those ice cream sandwiches look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning, Susie ... thank you for all the interesting photos. Gracie looks to be a wonderful companion. The cakes looks scrumptious. How nice that your mother is enjoying it with you. Thank goodness the high water stayed away from your home. I had never heard the term derecho until the news this week from your part of the country. In the northeast these are called "Microbursts" ... maybe because here they are typically not as long lived as derechos? I learn something everyday. Thank you for sharing with I Like Thursday ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good that you can find good things in that crazy storm! What a sweet bag and hurray for quilts goodness 😁 Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. If only we could trade weather. We're in the beginning of a heat wave.(I'm in California) A lot of humidity which is not the usual. "as high as an elephant's eye", I love that. I'm imagining an elephant standing next to field. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! That flood sounds scary, I'm so glad it didn't get into your house! I love those petunias growing under the fence :) I love petunias in general and just recently noticed some sprouting in one of my pots of dahlias where I thought I'd removed/transplanted them all. But another petunia is never bad! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We need the rain but not the crazy amount you got! I'm glad it kept away from your house. I never heard of a derecho. Looks bad! Grace looks like a nice dog. The birthday treat sounds delicious! How are you quilting that huge quilt? I always made big quilts. They're my favorites!

    ReplyDelete