Saturday, September 19, 2020

FNSI & RSC Reports

Oh my goodness, it's hard to post anything as nice as our weather has turned lately. No heat! No humidity! That makes me a happy girl!! I know there are those out there that think it's too cool already. I think it's perfect weather for fall clean-up in the yard. Those early morning temps are perfect for walking the dog. Speaking of Gracie, she is thrilled with the lower temperatures. She's truly a 50s girl!

Yesterday and today we have the privilege to dog-sit the dogs next door. Gracie just loves to romp with the boys but they're getting up in years and they can't play like they used to. 70 pounds of happiness that is leaping and jumping at them is just a little too much for them to handle for long.

Gracie & Odie

Odie looking for his folks

Last night was Friday Night Sew In and I decided I felt like knitting. My socks are really coming along. I'm on the 4th pattern chart and it is going quickly now. I'll be knitting the toes soon and finishing them up. I love this yarn. It's really soft and squishy. When I take the final picture of the completed socks, I'll give all the details. In the meantime, just imagine!

Many thanks to Wendy at Sugarlane Designs for getting us all together virtually for some sewing (or knitting) with like-minded folks. I'm linking up with her there and will spend some time visiting to see all the beautiful things everyone worked on last night.

Red is really going well for September's color of the month. I think that's what I like about the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Every month there is a focus color. Here are the six blocks I managed to sew this week.

When added to the two I finished the previous two weeks, they look like this. Only one more to go of the Awesome Land blocks this month! I'll be sharing my red progress on Angela's So Scrappy blog along with many others. Such beautiful work to admire there!

These blocks have actually been my leaders & enders for an even bigger project. Last year we made Tiny Tuesday blocks with the RSC. The blocks finished 4.5" and then they were framed either straight or on point to finish 7". I'm working on getting this quilt DONE!

I decided that my 44 blocks were not enough and what a funny number to have gotten done. I looked back on Angela's blog and found a couple of bonus blocks after deciding I wanted 48 blocks total. So I counted up how many of each color I had and then I counted up how many were set on point and how many were set straight. Turns out I needed one extra yellow, orange, purple, and green block -- 3 needed to be on point and 1 set straight.

I also decided that I would turn four Tiny Tuesday blocks into one larger block, adding a 2" sashing strip with a tiny 4-patch center. I managed to get 4 of these done and I am LOVING how they are turning out! Here are my first four in no particular order.

(The orange block was an additional block)

The purple block was a bonus block



And here they are laying together.
Here is a picture of  my organization. Looks more like chaos but there really is a rhyme and a reason to this mess. The Tiny Tuesday blocks are grouped in fours and the 4-patch that will go with them is attached too.

I'm thinking I will separate the larger blocks with 3" sashing and scrappy 9-patches. You know, just a larger version of the squares. Thoughts?

Lately we've had a praying mantis visit our hummingbird feeders. DH says the larger mantises will actually catch and kill my hummingbirds. We've pried him off with a stick and removed him but he has returned three times now. Each removal he was relocated further and further. The last time was to the far side of our property into the woods. I'm keeping an eye out for him everyday. Looks like he's keeping an eye out for me too!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend and I hope Fall has returned to your area. Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. I love your plan for the Tiny Tuesday blocks. Those tiny four patches are just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice selection of RED scraps you had available for inclusion in your AwesomeLand blocks. I like your plan for the Midget blocks. Looking forward to seeing that one come together, Susie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tiny 4 patch and green sashing for your TT blocks! That is a great idea! And wow on that praying mantis, too! He (or she) does look big enough to catch a hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always admired your Awesome Land blocks and perhaps will add something similar to my RSC list next year. Are you working with 2 1/2 in strips?

    ReplyDelete
  5. After a very hot week here last week temperatures have finally dropped and we have had a little rain. No where near enough but its a start. I shall be abl to get out now and enjoy some walks and also yes we too need to crack on and tidy the garden. Your socks look great - I do love a hand knitted sock and have some wool waiting to be used so maybe will start now that the cooler weather is here. Your red blocks are looking great as are all your Tiny Tuesday blocks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the cooler weather these days in VT, too. We have brilliant blue skies - perfect. Your setting for the Tiny blocks is really nice, and I enjoy seeing all the whimsical blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post full of interest. I love to watch hummingbirds when visiting family in Canada. We don't have them in Australia...xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are enjoying Spring weather here while we can because the heat won't be far away. Your socks look lovely and cosy and I love your gorgeous red RSC. Lots of lovely blocks you're working on. I would love to see a hummingbird for real....they look so beautiful and can't believe how tiny they are x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way the 4" blocks are getting together..we are moving rapidly past Spring and into Summer I think...27 today - that is 80 in your speak!...at lest its not humid yet.

    ReplyDelete