Tuesday, September 1, 2020

September PHD Report

 It's a FINISH! Actually finished on August 25 but I've since been waiting for the sun to come out for a beautiful outdoor photo shoot. Hasn't worked out yet around here so this will do for now. May I present "Oh My Stars!" laying on my bed. It's really pretty and I'm so glad I stuck with the orange little stars.





The pieced blocks are HUGE coming in at 24" square. That makes for a good sized queen quilt measuring at approximately 100" square. The borders and Celtic knots were machine-appliqued. The top is pieced from 100% cotton and the batting is Warm 'n' Natural 80/20. The backing is a subtle polka-dot, also 100% cotton. The binding is scrappy green fabrics. Again 100% cotton.

This "beast" was quilted on my domestic sewing machine: Bernina 153 Quilters Edition. In hind sight (which is always perfect, right?), I would have quilted it a bit more densely but being 100% done is very satisfying. A few pictures of the quilting on the front.






Oh My Stars! was designed by Linda Lee Hodges, which she so graciously shared with our Twisted Sisters Quilt Group in 2015. Not too bad by my standards .... only took me 5 years to complete! Here's a look at my quilt label. I did it with my sewing machine. Please overlook the OOPS! I made in the word PATTERN. For some reason I thought I only put one T and pulled it out to check. Obviously I did not realign the machine embroidery correctly when I continued. Note to self: Do No Doubt Yourself.

As for my PHD Report, Oh My Stars! is the 4th finish on my list. It is also my largest quilt. It has been referred to in my blog as "the beast" due to its size. It certainly was not a hard quilt to make and should never have taken me so long to make. Oh My Stars! was also listed for my 2020 UFO Challenge through my LQS.

I'm off to work on a new project and then my next PHD Project -- Tiny Tuesdays. It's due October 26 at my LQS for a UFO Challenge. I hope the sun comes out for a proper photo shoot of Oh My Stars! Maybe I'll have something else completed by then!!

Linking up with Gail at Quilting Gail and others trying to get their Projects Half Done finished too! Find everyone HERE.


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm impressed that you managed to quilt the Beast using your DSM, and it looks great. I love to sleep under a new quilt. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous, Susie! Congratulations on your finish! The orange and purple are so pretty together and I love the layout of the stars. Your quilting looks great to me, especially for such a huge quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful finish and I love your colour scheme - congratulations. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is gorgeous Sue... & a correct decision to go with the orange as it's stunning...xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on finishing this huge quilt!!! It's lovely! And to quilt it on your domestic machine - you go girl!!! :-)
    Thank you for linking up to PHD in 2020! :-)

    ReplyDelete