Thursday, September 24, 2020

I Like Thursdays #8

Once again we're sharing the positives in our lives. I hope you find something here that makes you smile. If you would like some more uplifting reading, visit hostess Leeanna's blog Not Afraid of Color to find more!

I love that we have such good neighbors. It makes us try to be better neighbors ourselves. Anyway, our neighbors were out of town for their son's wedding so watched their dogs for them. Below is Gracie with her "boyfriend" Odie.

Although Odie normally loves to see us, he was on the lookout for his family's return and really didn't want anything to do with us. Poor Gracie!
There is a house in my neighborhood that has the two separate garage doors. In between they have this planter spilling with petunias and vinca (I think) with some grass in the back. Isn't this pretty! Love the petunias wildness!
Of course I'd like to take you for a trip around my front yard. Fall truly is trying to arrive and, after all, we did just have the equinox. The flowers are looking a little spent but they are still trying to make a statement with the last of their blooms.



Please pardon the dirty house in the background. This WILL be taken care of before spring!
What really makes me happy is this little weigela bush. It was all knocked over into the street and was very leggy. My other neighbor (not Odie's folks) said she was probably going to rip it out. I told her I wanted a chance with it because it could be beautiful. Besides, weigelas are great hummingbird & butterfly attracters!

So I lifted it up out of the street and pegged it up. Then I trimmed off quite a bit of the straggly limbs but not too much as I didn't want to shock it.
I've been watering it lately too since we've had no rain in about 2 weeks. Can you see the new growth? Do you see the flowers?
Here's a closer look. Now I bet you can see the improvement! I believe this little plant is going to be gorgeous next spring!

If you've made it to the end of this post, I hope I managed to spread a little good cheer your way!

(Is it me or has Blogger changed once again and grafted the "new & improved" version with the old?)


8 comments:

  1. All your flowers are so great! Mine love fall because the heat finally breaks and they can take a breath. Those petunias with the grasses behind them have such great texture. I'm a big petunia person, but mine quit blooming about a month ago (after going strong since march). And fun to see your puppy visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susie! Your yard looks lovely. I am especially pleased that you saved that pretty weigela bush - I am certain it will be back next spring in full force. I just had to replace one of mine but the others are growing gangbusters. I plan to do some trimming this Fall - one is overstepping its welcome. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photo of the neighbor's dog, so watchful and hopeful that his people are coming back. It's so nice to still have flowers this time of year! Mine are definitely on the downhill slide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor pups that don't have doggie calendars to mark off the days... love your flowers and comfortable yard. Your saved W. bush is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger seems to be fixing stuff that people must have yelled about. :-) I even saw another change or two this week! Great flowers. And handsome neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a great save as I love that bush too.
    Lovely trip around your neigbourhood...THanKs...xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post and the doggos are sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flowers are gorgeous. Isn't if fun the last big bloom before frost finally arrives. Don't you just love Weigela? Come spring I need to prune mine, it is a little out of control.

    ReplyDelete