Thursday, October 22, 2020

I Like Thursday #11

Good morning to you on this gorgeous I Like Thursday morning. Thank you for participating and/or reading the I Like Thursday blog posts. We can all use a little pick-me-up around mid-week!

I like my Nook e-reader. I can download books from my library for 3+ weeks at a time. I'm a slow reader and, as long as I keep my Nook off the wi-fi, I can continue reading my book long after the expiration date ... unless my Nook either updates or loses all battery power. This happened recently to me while I was in the middle of reading "Walk the Wire" by David Baldacci. I immediately put my name on the wait list for it again (2 week wait) and checked out a Reese Witherspoon Book-of-the-Month book called "Such a Fun Age" by Kiley Reid. I figured this might be a short, interesting read while I wait for "Walk the Wire". Well, after only 6 days "Walk the Wire" became available with only 3 days to download or it disappears again. In the meantime I'm into "Such a Fun Age". Yikes! And now I've received notification that a hard back I put on hold at the library is available! OMG! When it rains it pours. If you'd like to know about "Walk the Wire" or "Such a Fun Age", click the title. It'll take you to an explanation by Goodreads.com. I'm enjoying both of these books and I'll let you know about #3 book when I get to it!

I like visiting family. Since Fred is doing so much better, we decided to take a trip to visit family. We enjoyed my brother & his family.

Star in a Star quilt on our hotel bed.
Love taking a bit of home while on the road!

My friend Barbara from when I worked in Maryland.
Enjoyed catching up with her for a lunch!

Our Gang!

Brody trying on his Halloween costume

My daughter Sarah & me
with fireballs in our cheeks!

My mother fiddling with Brody's pants

While traveling I enjoy knitting socks. They are small enough to fit in my lap and I can usually make a good start on the way out and get close to finishing on the way home. Here is my start.


I got them almost done to the toe shaping. I'll share a picture when I'm completely done.

I also enjoyed a little photo shoot of the little Halloween quilt that I made for my daughter. She has 2 kitties so I thought she might enjoy the wall hanging for the holidays.



The pattern is from Sherri Falls of This 'n' That. It finished at about 20" square and you can find the pattern HERE. You'll have to scroll down a little to find it.

I enjoyed a little shopping in Greensboro NC. I visited two quilt stores and a needlepoint/knit shop. I was in search of the store where I purchased a coin purse needlepoint kit 10 years ago. You can see my receipt from Nov 5, 2010 and also how the top edge of my old purse is getting frayed.


Unfortunately, this location had moved but I found a nearby store that had these kits. After 10 years, the price had only gone up $3!!! I'm still working on this but will soon have a new coin purse.

I also like coming home. Besides all the junk mail and bills in my mail, I got these! I really like these magazines!


This kit was also waiting for me. I ordered it through Timeless Traditions. I like Norma's patterns and her kits include her really nice fabric choices. I had just mentioned to my mother that I have Halloween wall hangings and Christmas ones, but nothing to hold me over between the holidays. I saw this pattern on Facebook and ordered it up!


One last thing I like: getting my hair cut. I haven't had my hair cut since before the COVID with the exception of me trimming my bangs. It's time! So that's where I'm off to now. Have a wonderful day!!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I like that Nook reading idea. I may have to try that. What a cute little minion! lol I love the quilt you brought with you. Great colors, too. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my Nook, too! I have read so many books using it - so convenient! Your star quilt looks amazing on the bed, and what a great idea to take it along on your trip. So glad Fred is well enough now to travel! And love those cute Halloween pillows in your top photo, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love my Kindle, too, and downloading from the library. Our time for loans is only 2 weeks so I sometimes have to scramble to finish.
    Glad you got to visit family. That's something I miss during this pandemic. ours is far-flung and travel by air is iffy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your travel to visit family and friends was successful. We have a road trip in the works for Thanksgiving! I’m anxious, but planning on all the recommended precautions! I have a Kindle and have downloaded lots of books on it! Now my DH is using it! That makes me smile,
    Ps: love your Halloween display on the back of the “John”! That made me really smile! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to share in all your happy and cheery experiences. Lovely to be with family x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susie! Not only do we have the same taste in books, but I absolutely feel your anxiety with so many GOOD books to read at one time. That happens to me all the time and I'm a fairly fast reader. It does cut into my sewing time sometimes - there ARE only sew many hours in a day. Oh, I love Baldacci - and have Walk the Wire on Hold (#64 on 7 copies). Cute, cute photos of your peeps and friends. The pumpkin wall hanging looks fab too! That is AMAZING that you could find a kit for another coin purse!! I would have guessed that they shopped making them but I'm sure happy for you that they didn't. And a big YES to getting a hair cut. I haven't been in a salon since March - I'm lucky that my sister can cut hair. The only thing is - and she won't read this - is that she cuts my hair way too short. No matter how much I say I just want a trim, I get a near-balding. HAHAHAHA! That's why I can wait six months in between trimmings. Take care. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT list! I will have to come back to follow links, make note of books. I'm a slow reader and tired of the library just absconding with my books too. I will say, someone must be a fast reader as I sometimes get notice before 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a kindle fire, but I am pretty good about finishing my books. Even if I hate them I will power through. Gorgeous quilt on your bed, how fun to be able to travel and see family. Your little coin purse is going to be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete