Thursday, August 11, 2022

I Like Thursday #84

Welcome back to another week of I Like Thursday post. Our prompt this week is what is our favorite fruit/vegetable that we are enjoying this time of year. I'd have to say zucchini. I'm growing it again this year so it is fresh, fresh, fresh. It's also so versatile. We enjoy it sauteed with onions and any of the herbs from the garden: dill, oregano, basil, or just plain. We like it sliced into long slabs, seasoned with herbs and olive oil, then baked in the oven. If I feel like it, I'll even make zucchini fitters. They're a little time consuming but not hard at all when you follow this recipe from Food Network. Probably our favorite though would be zucchini bread following this recipe from allrecipes. I usually add pecans instead of walnuts but either way is delicious -- especially with coffee.

I've been playing Wordle for quite a while now. It's a good way to keep in contact with my daughter each morning. I've heard a lot of buzz about the game Quordle so I decided to give it a try this past Sunday for the first time and beat it!

So I tried it the next two days and POOF! I won both days again! I really liked that!


Too bad I bombed out Wednesday! Ha!

The flowers in the garden are looking good. Each Spring I get a clump of what looks like daffodil leaves. They die off, I cut them back, then they disappear. Then in late summer, stems sprout up quickly and within a couple of days they look like this!

I love the tinge of purple with the pink blooms! And these four stems have no leaves at all! I was told they are called "surprise lilies" but my daughter heard they were also called "naked ladies". Hahaha! I totally understand that name for them too! Here's a couple of long looks down the front garden this week.


This past week we celebrated my honey's birthday. After the family get-together on Saturday, his party continued with dinner at our favorite Korean restaurant complements of Mom and then opening a pair of new wifi earbuds. I like his goofiness too!


He mowed the lawn yesterday afternoon and said they worked great and were comfy too!

I enjoy my monthly quilt guild meetings. This month we were introduced to a fabric designer from Riley Blake. Janet Wecker Frisch of Joy Studio was so nice, personable, and generous! She shared lots of her quilts and gave away A LOT of door prizes. I think there were 50 prizes with 85 of us present. Pretty good odds to snag one but I wasn't so lucky. However, everyone got a goody bag that contained a fat quarter from one of her collections. Here's my red FQ with little white buttons. So cute! And it looks perfect with my "red solo cup" although it's not really a red solo cup.

This cup was given to me by my mother's neighbor quite some time ago. It was during the time when the song "Red Solo Cup" by Toby Keith was popular. I happen to like any song that Toby sings but she just hated that song. She gave me this cup with a $20 bill inside as a thank you for driving her to St. Louis for her cancer treatment. She has long since passed but I think about her every time I pull this cup out. Pauline was a good neighbor to Mom and a good friend to all.

Still reading "The Night Tiger" but I need to hurry up. The library just notified me that a book on hold has just become available. Wonder which book it was. Guess you'll find out next week on the next I Like Thursday post!

Have a great week!

3 comments:

  1. lots to like here... I didn't think of zucchini since I use it year round. Can't grow it here either... tried. Wanted so many like I read about, people sneaking them to neighbors in the dead of night lol
    but no. Not one. Nada. Beginning of a flower then dropping off.
    thanks for sharing the positives! And it's not cooler here, we got an ac for the bedroom to supplement the central air that doesn't cool the upstairs. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zucchini bread - yum! I haven't made any yet this year - need someone to give me an unwanted zucchini! Happy Birthday to your hubby, and glad he likes his earbuds. Mike has been wondering if he would like those. We enjoy Quordle everyday, too - sometimes I get all 4 words and sometimes not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I get my stove up and running I will make lots of zucchini bread and cake! Goofiness is good. He has a wonderful smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete