Saturday, August 27, 2022

RSC Orange

Yup, I finally got some orange scraps sewn up for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Our leader Angela  chose orange for August and some of the others have really gone crazy with the color. You can see lots of this beautiful color HERE at SoScrappy.

Here's my orange zigzag border piece for String-X. Look at all those orange strings! There is an elephant, an owl, neck of a giraffe, a pumpkin in the orange fabrics. There are peace signs, writing, and cross stitch in the neutrals. Can you find them?

I think some of the problem I was having getting motivated to finish String-X this year was I just wasn't sure how I was going to turn the corners.

Looking back at what String-X looks like so far showed that the corners would entail dark blue, aqua, purple, and black. The color for July was purple, I believe, so I really needed to get a plan in place. Here's what I came up with:

This will be one side.
This will be the other side including the corner block.

When set together, it will turn like this. It's not perfect since I was fudging around with ideas but it'll do. I'm pretty sure I made a couple of extra sides for at least one other corner and, now that I have a plan, I'll have to go back and see. We had dark blue in June and aqua in February. This quilt is getting close to finished!

On a side note, I sewed with friends today (Friday) and will again on Saturday. Have you heard about Moda's Letters to Santa QAL? You can read the introduction HERE and then link up with the first two clues. I jumped on because I thought it would be fun. Turns out I'll have even more fun since I found out a friend was also sewing alone. I think this quilt will look so fun on the guest bed at Christmas time! Today I sewed up JOY and CHRI of Christmas. I'm looking forward to getting my machine busy with the rest of Christmas. Might even squeeze in a little MERRY if there's time! Wish I'd taken a picture or two of what I accomplished. Will do so next week!

Until then, have a great week!

7 comments:

  1. Love your solution for turning the corner with your string pieced blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks for corner sections of your border look great to me! That's the neat thing about HST blocks - you can turn them in all different directions and something fun always happens. The Letters to Santa quilt does look like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing your String X blocks with the borders. The Christmas Words looks like a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That border is going to work really well Susie. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful memories in your last post which I enjoyed. My hydrangea go the same way, from green to white and then to pink when they get touched by colder temps. That sounds like a neat QAL and how we all love Christmas. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your zig-zag border will be terrific! Nice corner treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to turn the corner! Nice to see everyone’s RSC projects coming together! Gail at the cozy quilter. PS. There was a BBQ at our glamping site.

    ReplyDelete