Saturday, December 31, 2022

Final RSC Post for 2022

In my usual fashion I've got nothing to show for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2022. I worked on projects though. For example, I started a new pair of socks. This pattern is called Kazak by Hunter Hammersen. I like her patterns because they are difficult enough to keep my interest yet easy enough to not give me troubles. The yarn I'm using is Invictus's Master of my Feet. Progress so far:

The Rudolph pillow is coming along. I did run into a problem which will be taken care of slowly. I couldn't get the wording traced onto the beautiful flannel background and really scratched my head trying to come up with a way to do it. Then I remembered a "trick" I used on the Reindeer Frolic wool mat using Press 'n' Seal. So that's how I set about to work on Rudolph.

The directions call for 2 rows of stem stitch for the embroidered words. I started with "nose", a short word to see if I was going to be successful. FAIL! The red Sharpie I used for the wording colored my floss pink! UGH!!! Only one row in, at least I learned something ... like there was a problem that needed to be dealt with!

So now I've decided to use a running stitch to outline the words, pick the Press 'n' Seal off, and then stem stitch the first row using the running stitches to guide me. I'll probably start on the word "the" to see how it works. If it's a go, I'll pick out the running stitches for "the" and add the 2nd row of stem stitch to the lettering. You can see in the first picture where I've got the top half of the words completed with the running stitch. Below you can see what it looks like with the running stitches on top of the Press 'n' Seal  prior to removing it. A bit of work and I sure do hope it works!

As for RSC 2023, I'm looking forward to starting a few new projects. Surprise, surprise, huh?!!? I bought the templates for Tennessee Hummingbird which I hope to hand-piece. I plan to also continue with the rainbow hexies that I started in 2022.

Then of course I need to consult my sewing machine periodically and I love making 4-at-a-time flying geese units. I'm considering the free pattern Anna by Andover Fabrics. Inspired by Bonnie Hunter's H blocks, I was thinking that would be fun for this Hoover girl also. The other project I'd like to start is a tumbler quilt. I think this will help familiarize me with the AccuQuilt Go! Cutter that I won earlier this year. Still working on a plan to incorporate the tumblers with Rainbow Scrap.

And there you have it! My final RSC2022 post! Thanks goes to Angela at SoScrappy for keeping all of us inspired to use up our scraps!

6 comments:

  1. The new sock design looks like a pretty one! Love the name of the yarn, too. Hope your plan for the Rudolph pillow wording works because it is a cute design! Looks like you have some fun plans for your 2023 sewing - happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What am great solution to your wording dilemma. Embroidery lines on dark fabric poses a problem. I’ve used freezer paper ( not good), parchment paper (better), tissue paper(just, ok). I’ve never used Press n Seal, but I will now! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m not happy about the grammar in my previous post! I forgot to proofread it! :(!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun pattern for socks. Beautiful blue color. The Rudolph pillow sounds a bit difficult to me, I think I need another cuppa and read it again! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year Susie! Transfering writing can be a pain huh. Do hope your solution works, looking good so far. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the socks! Sorry Rudolph is giving you such troubles. Might be why they did not let him join in the reindeer games? (sorry, not finished my coffee yet!) The Accuquilt is a fun addition and will cut things so you can get to sewing quicker. Perfect for hand piecing!

    ReplyDelete