Saturday, March 27, 2021

March Table Scraps Challenge

Joyful Quilter's Table Scraps Challenge is a good exercise (for me anyway) to come up with a quilted SOMETHING. The rules, um ... read that "suggestions", are simple.

  1. It must predominantly use fabric the color of the monthly Rainbow Scrap Challenge. March's color was dark to medium green.
  2. The quilted project should be something involving a table. Examples given were table runners, table mats, placemats, mug rugs, ... you get the idea, right?
So what did I come up with? Well, since March's color was green and March's holiday was St. Patrick's Day, I started thinking shamrocks. While browsing blogs one day, someone (and I can't remember who -- so sorry!) posted all kinds of facts and freebies concerning St. Patrick's Day. One of the quilt block patterns was Little Clover by Jane Alexander for the Splendid Sampler. You can find the link HERE.

So I knew I could use up some green scraps with this one so I made my four little 4" blocks. Jane set her blocks in a swirling manner. I was about to do that when, browsing blogs another day, I got a brilliant idea after seeing Bonnie Hunter's Tulip Time. Inspiration hits when you least expect it sometimes. Now I knew for sure how I wanted to set the blocks and how I wanted to finish my project. Next step was to figure out my border width for a finished size to accommodate what I had in mind.

So here it is: my Shamrock Table Mat. It finished at 15" square and is scrappy in every sense of the word, truly reflecting a Bonnie Hunter style.


A couple of close-ups are always appreciated, I'm sure.
One little clover with hearts quilted in the leaves

Swirliness quilting in the center

Wavy quilting in the borders

Of course a picture of the back. I used up a bit more of the shamrock fabric. Note: it's starting to lose the musty smell which pleases me!
Quilting on the  back

One last photo or two from the photo shoot. I think the little mat is a beauty and it fits my table perfectly. Many thanks to my math teachers! Haha!


I'm definitely ready for St. Patrick's Day 2022!

Linking up with all the other Table Scrap Challenge quilters. You can find the Linky Party HERE at Joy's blog, The Joyful Quilter.

6 comments:

  1. It's so pretty! It's good to see our quilts around the house isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you made the perfect topper for that table, Susie! Cute clover blocks and I love the scrappy birder, too. Fun finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it! I made a wall hanging from just the same two sources you had! Only I made a yellow-gold border on mine before a green border and binding to finish. Your piano border looks great. I also have that same, musty shamrock fabric, but not enough for the back. It came as a hand-me-down from my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for joining the Table Scraps Link Party with your super scrappy Shamrock table mat, Susie! Green? You've got ALL the shades!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shamrock table mat is the perfect way to use green scraps this month! Nicely done! I'm not doing the color of the month part of the "suggestions" but enjoying the process all the same. :)

    ReplyDelete