Thursday, June 24, 2021

I Like Thursday #39

Welcome back or just plain welcome! I'll start my  "likes" this week with a double-like -- I like to bake. My husband likes pies. Put the two together with peach season and you get a fresh peach pie.

I followed this recipe from All Recipes. I'd certainly make it again but I wouldn't use quite that much fresh lemon juice. I like my peach pie on the sweet side. Pardon my crust, please. I had a fresh Pillsbury crust  that I used on the bottom but that top crust? It was an older local-store brand and I'm glad I used it up on the top. I don't think it would have held up to be the main crust. It's rustic ... let's go with that, shall we?

We had such a cool, wet spring here in the Midwest that the hydrangeas have gone berserk! This little one was in a floral basket many years ago and has never bloomed in the garden. It didn't help when hubby used Round-Up on it. Hubby wasn't familiar with the new plant and thought it was a weed. This year we're looking good and actually have blooms! You'll have to look hard!

I also love the tall pink spikes of my astilbe. It reminds me of my Dad's best friend Mel every year when it blooms. He recommended this perennial to me. I transplanted a flower that was next to it to give it more room a couple of years ago and it is really spreading. Isn't it pretty? Love my hollyhocks too!

I'm getting close to the end of my current book, "The Dry". I'm enjoying it a lot and would recommend it so far.

Our heat wave has broken and the weather has been nice lately. That has meant a bit more yard work. Tuesday I filled a 2-gallon container with weed killer and strolled around the gardens squirting the weeds. Then I really put in some time (a little over an hour) walking the dam and squirting down the weeds there. Yesterday I went to Mom's house and trimmed back her forsythia and filled the "Yard Waste" container to the brim and then some. Two weeks ago I filled the same container with the trimmings from the azalea and rhododendron. So much work since we were basically gone for the month of May when all of this should have been taken care of. Yoi!

I hope you've had a good week too. Look around! I think you'll be amazed at all the good things around you. You can also check out other bloggers' likes at Not Afraid of Color. Goodness is everywhere. Sometimes you just have to look!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Susie! Oh yum! A fresh peach pie - that looks delicious. Your flowers looks wonderful and wasn't that nice break in the hot weather wonderful??!!! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. peach pie!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Crust is almost too hard for me to make well but I actually like any and all crusts! The book sounds good, how lucky to have hydrangeas! I miss mine in Maryland one blue one pink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... peach pie. I love all your green growing things (but it reminds me I need to weed the garden soon). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love peach pie! Peaches come here from the Western Slope in August, so that's when we make a peach pie. Your green, blooming things are so pretty! Yard work is a lot of work, but worth it, right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The peach pie looks delicious! I've seen that book and thought it looked good. Might have to read it soon! You have some great shrubs and flowers. You must have a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete