Saturday, June 5, 2021

Looking For My "Normal"

May doesn't feel like it existed sewing-wise and our normal (boring) routines went out the window during the month as well. We packed up the car at the beginning of May to travel from IL to MD for a quick visit with Brody and then on to NC for my niece's graduation from UNC-Wilmington.

We were home for ten days catching up on house chores and getting the bills paid. Laundry was completed and we packed up for CO. First stop was to check in on my sister-in-law in Loveland and catch up with her health and well-being. Then we headed south to Colorado Springs for my nephew's graduation from the Air Force Academy.


We got home on May 28th and we've had company ever since. It's been fun with full days. Unfortunately, between being in the kennel for 8 days followed by all the excitement of company, our Gracie came up lame and in A LOT of pain. We took her to the vet on Tuesday to find out that she "has the knees of an 85-year-old". Diagnosed with osteoarthritis, she has been on pain meds all week with another week or so to go. We will then go into pain management for this sweet girl but the vet said that her walks are very good for her.

So as you can probably guess, I haven't been all that productive lately in the sewing room. My green socks are coming right along though.

Angela has chosen purple for June's RSC. Since I didn't get anything done for May (red) and I had some reds out on my cutting table, I cut a couple of Irish Courthouse blocks out. Nothing sewn but at least ready to go!

Purples will also get cut & ready to sew later this week. In the meantime, I squared up my 14 bats and sewed them up for the borders. Now I'm finishing up their seams with wool applique stars. Check it out! Purple star! Sew Spooky is getting close to being a finished top!!

Have a good week! The heat is on announcing summer's arrival finally and Mom has bushes that need trimming!

8 comments:

  1. Pretty green socks! Congrats to all the graduates. Glad the pain meds are helping your dog. Hope you have time to sew soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those green socks are coming along beautifully, Susie!! Best of luck on finishing up your red blocks. Have fun with PURPLE, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a fun May, even if you never had time to sew! I'm so sorry Gracie has been having troubles, and hope she improves soon. Those socks have a pretty pattern in them - they look like the perfect "take-along" project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes sewing just has to take a backseat to family! Lots of travel time for you, but sock making travels well I would assume. I don’t knit socks, but I can crochet in the car! They are pretty, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had quite the month. Love the socks. I have tried starting socks multiple times. I can sit and sew for hours on end but don't seem to have the patience for knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did your vet recommend glucosamine sulfate for your lovely lab?
    Mine did, years ago, and the difference was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. when my lab got arthritis they said to break her walks into more often, shorter ones. There are some good meds for it these days, including some injectable they give to horses, and dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a busy month you had - and what a smart nephew!Those socks are looking really gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete