Saturday, June 12, 2021

Purple, A Flimsy Finish, and a Quilt Show!

My local quilt guild, Hearts 'n' Hands, presents a quilt show every other year. We were supposed to have one this year, but we weren't able to meet this past year to prepare for it. So, the Quilt Show Committee decided to have a virtual quilt show! Besides displaying over 200 quilts, there is also a 12-minute bed-turning and a few vendors! You can check it all out On This Link. There are some really pretty quilts in here which just goes to show the talent of this group. Maybe you should grab a cup of coffee to enjoy the show!

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge's color for June is purple. Nice pick, Angela! Last month I had a hard getting any sewing time in but I am determined to make a better effort this month. My sewing group met yesterday for some "sewing with friends" time. I prepared by selecting & cutting fabric Thursday night and got the Lotus block sewn Friday. Yay! Purple!



While I was packing up my car this morning, look what I found under the handle of my Explorer. I moved him out to take his picture.
Cute little tree frog. I love their song! After I moved him using a twig, he sang his little heart out on the window sill.

Last Tuesday I met with my LQS's UFO Challenge group. This group meets every other month so it was nice to see these gals again.  At the end of the last meeting, Cindy (our fearless leader) pulled #2 so the project I was to work on that corresponded with #2 was the Halloween BOM. Turns out the pattern was called Sew Spooky and it was copyrighted 2012. That means that I probably started this project in 2012 or 2013. Time to get it done. What put me behind was the candy corn border. I was terrified to sew strips together, then cut triangles out of it along with a background fabric, and then sew it back together and still have a straight row. So now I had to in order to get this project finished ... and I did!
Scary Candy Corn Border. Ha!

It really wasn't as hard as I had thought it would be but I must say that it took me a LONG time to get done. I was being so very careful. Then it was time to sew on all the borders, including the bat border that I worked on in the car on my way to MD! You can see all about that HERE.

And here is the finished top. I say finished but there are a few buttons that still need to be sewn on. I can't do that until it is quilted which will probably be another UFO Challenge project for next year! This quilt, besides satisfying one of the projects for the 2021 UFO Challenge, is also on my 2021 PHD list. Hip! Hip! Hooray! For double-dipping!
Sew Spooky complete with spooky sky behind it!

This was a fun quilt to make. Some of the blocks had pieces from a panel. Some had applique some of which I did in wool and others I did on the machine. Some had embroidery. Here's a close-up of the blocks.
Block with Wool Pumpkins and Crow

Wool Ghosts
Panel Windows
Embroidered "BOO"

Panel Barn Door with Embroidered Cobwebs
Embroidered Cobweb Windmill

Wool Moon and Broom Bristles
Panel Lower Windows & Witch's Feet
Embroidered Cobwebs in Windows

Wool Cat & Star
Embroidered Smoke
"Flappy" Quilt (See Below)
 

Pretty sure I mentioned that I was going to sew with Laundry Basket Designs (Edyta Sitar). Last month, the day after Mother's Day started this block a day SAL. Of course going out of town put me way behind. Let's be honest though. I was behind before we left. Anyway,  Edyta did her quilt in blues & whites. I decided to sew mine in browns & creams. I worked on Blocks 4 & 5 today.
Blocks #4 - 100% Finished

Sneak Peek at Block #5
Because I certainly didn't have enough going on while socializing with my friends, I also had another set of blocks in the works. These will be my RSC May (Red) Irish Courthouse blocks.
I did start sewing them a bit right before I left but decided to leave them for Saturday. Did I mention we sew for two days!!??! Lucky me! It'll probably be my last hurrah for a while as Hubby goes in for his surgical hernia repair on Wednesday. Show time 5:30am. UGH!

Let's not think about that for now and just bask in my finished flimsy. Here's one last photo and it's a close-up!

I'll see you back here next week if not before. 

7 comments:

  1. SewSpooky is SEW fabulous! Love all the different techniques that you were able to use. Congratulations on being able to cross it off of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sew Spooky is so cute! Good for you, getting it done. I would have been nervous/careful with those candy corn triangles, too - looks like they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on your PURPLE Mountain block and congrats on finishing up your Spooky Halloween quilt top, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So satisfying to finish an older UFO! The spooky houses and the borders look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SewSpooky is wonderful! I love that pumpkin house...and the witch house... ok, I love them all! Great job on the border and congrats on a top! Good luck to you both this week with the surgery and nurse care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely spooky house! And I like the embroidery accents too. Hopefully the repair is easy and recovery fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on finishing that flimsy, well worth getting it finished as it is stunning. I love tree frogs too. Not so many here so far this summer for some reason although we had a few earlier on. Their croak is amazing! Hope you had fun with your friends and that all will go well on Wednesday. xx

    ReplyDelete