Thursday, March 28, 2024

I Like Thursday #142

So many things to like this time of year. Spring has shown up everywhere with bulbs reawakening, trees budding & flowering, and birds showing off their finest colors with song. My son spent five nights hospitalized due to headaches and apparently Bell's Palsy. He was released yesterday with meds and a follow-up appointment to a neurologist. I really like that he is finally home to recuperate.

Check out this little fellow. This goldfinch will soon be golden. Not a great picture since I had to hurry to get it through my screened window.

Speaking of screened windows. did you know that screens are optional in new houses? I find this mind-blowing!!! At least this is the case in North Carolina. Man, oh man. I love my screens. Fresh air with no bugs. No birds accidentally flying into the house either! Lol!

While sewing binding on my quilt, Polly needed to check it out. She hollowed out a space big enough for her, then left. But not before I snapped a picture!

Here's a funny photo I took yesterday. We noticed that Mom & her P/T guy were dressed similarly the other day. Look! Twins! Hahaha!
Which one is the Danny DeVito
and which one is Arnold Schwarzenegger?
I'm still reading "Holly" by Stephen King. It is really keeping my interest.
The kitchen has been busy this week making deliciousness. No pictures but trust me, good food. Chicken, Gnocchi and Mushroom Skillet was a hit. I substituted chicken thighs for the boneless chicken breasts since that's what I had on hand. This is a one dish meal -- NICE!

Another easy dish was this Crispy Breaded Pork Chops (Baked). I had some leftover mashed potatoes that I served with these and a couple days earlier I made these Refrigerator Pickled Beets. Earlier Mom & I had noticed that our favorite grocery store had beautiful fresh beets available.

Due to a very busy week, I needed a yet another quick meal. I went to my Instant Pot for this Beef Barley Vegetable Soup recipe. Unfortunately I used a different-than-the-usual wine in it and Hubby detected it. He said it was good but I've made better. Pretty sure if I made this again using the merlot it would be approved by all in this house. I personally thought it was wonderful! Rats! Unfortunately I can't share this recipe with a link because it came from one of the Melissa Clark cookbooks that I checked out from my library. It was from either "Dinner in an Instant" or "Comfort in an Instant".

My broken sewing machine was picked up this week and will be returned fixed & cleaned next Tuesday. Another major "Like" for this house.

I hope you have a great week. Don't forget to be grateful for all the good things in your life. If you need a little motivation, check out these other shared posts from bloggers on their "Likes" over the past week.

4 comments:

  1. Your mom is adorable! I love that you share recipes. I did make the chocolate brownies (mine turned out crumbly) with peanut butter frosting. Hubby has requested the frosting on his birthday cake this year. I also made the buttermilk pie....YUM! I guess we got lucky with our builder last year. Screens came with our windows. Now we are looking for retractable screens for the sliding glass doors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're starting to see daffodils here and green leaves peeking out, too. It's a lovely time of year, isn't it. Glad your son is better - worrying about our grown kids is no fun. Love the picture of your mom and her PT! Your meals always sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can screens be optional! Talk about cost cutting. Your mom and the PT guy are cute together. (and man, is he tall!) Lots of good stuff. That chicken dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh ...is your mum tiny or the PT guy is tall? - probably a bit of both!
    we are welcoming Autumn - our summers are hot & humid, so its a bit of a relief!
    Best wishes to your son.

    ReplyDelete