Saturday, March 30, 2024

Purple and I'VE GOT A FINISH!!!

We have arrived at the last Saturday of March which means Angela will be selecting a new color for April. I may not have done a load of purple blocks like some of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge friends but I managed to show off quite a bit of purple anyway. If you love the color purple, visit Angela's SoScrappy blogpost.

First up are my purple pineapples. Got my three done for the month.

My best purple achievement for the month of March is a finished quilt. Here's a little background on this project.

Around Christmas (I think) I found a pretty top that was all completed and only needed to be quilted. I don't remember sewing this but the fabrics are familiar to me and I'm pretty sure it was a mystery quilt at my local quilt store, Rosemary's. What leads me to believe this was a mystery quilt was I later came across the spotted batik fabric labeled Fabric #3 Binding. It's also in the body of the quilt, of course.

Not too long ago I ordered a Big Fan stencil from FunwithBarb Etsy Shop. I love the look of fan quilting and Barb Vedder had been a guest speaker at The Applique Society meeting. She shared some of her quilts with the fan quilting and I loved it. When it came in the mail I was happily surprised that it was truly LARGE -- about 14" tall! Now what could I use it on? That's about the time that I discovered this quilt in the basement.

I marked the entire top with the standard blue water-soluble marking pen, pieced together a backing, cut some batting, and basted it up. I took me the better part (or maybe even a little longer) of a week to quilt. I finished the binding last Tuesday but there were no beauty shots due to cold and/or rainy weather but Mother Nature is shining this morning so here are a couple of pictures.

Ta! Da!

A Sideways Shot to See the Quilting?

Laying Sweetly with the Daffodils

Close-Up of the Front Quilting

Close-up of the Pieced Back Quilting

So Many Lovely Fans!!!
I love how this quilt finished. It is so soft and squishable and a nice lap-size at 58"x 72". Anyone out there have an idea of what this quilt pattern was called? It is too lovely to remain nameless. I'm looking forward to your suggestions. The colors kind of have a Mardi Gras vibe?

Wherever you are, I hope you are having a beautiful weekend. If you celebrate Easter, I wish you a blessed Sunday.

12 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful quilt, Susie! Love the colors, and the fans are great for the quilting. Hooray for a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very nice find in the basement, Sue. I love the colors and the quilting is perfect for it. Hope you have a very Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pineapples!
    the quilt looks lovely next to the daffodils....Spring must be in the air at your place....a name??....I'm not very good at naming quilts....Rejuvenated purple?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purple pineapples! Who knew??? I'm sure you have a very colourful collection of them now! That fan quilting looks fabulous on your quilt! I have never tried that type of quilting before--I will have to try it sometime. Happy Easter! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice purple pineapples and what a stunning quilt! Lovely finish Susie and quilted beautifully, glad you rescued it from wherever it was hiding. Have a lovely Easter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely fan quilting on your quilt, well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilts/blocks, Susie and I especially adore that big fan quilting on that quilt. What wonderful quilting going on at your place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your finish. What a happy palette!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beautiful quilt. And the fans were a perfect choice for quilting. Love those purple pineapples!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the finish! That's one pretty quilt and I love the fan quilting, beautiful! Glad you found it and finished it. Love your pineapples too. Sorry, I can't come up with any name for the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - that is a gorgeous quilt you found!! i LOVE it!!!! And those pineapples - too cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete