Saturday, January 9, 2021

2021 Rainbow Scrap Start

All the Christmas things are put away so it's time to get started on a 2021 Rainbow Scrap Challenge project. This week I started working on PINK projects. Angela, our RSC leader, selected pink to start our year off. Each month she'll pick a different color for us to work on, thereby trying to eliminate some of our fabric scraps.

I thought I'd dive right in with Stair Steps from Lissa Alexander's book Oh Scrap! The blocks are HUGE! They finish at 16" so hopefully I'll be able to clear out some fabric!

See those pink squares right down the middle? That satisfies my "pink". Of course I want my quilt to be a little bigger than the one in the book so I'll be making a few more blocks than Lissa has going. I need two pink blocks for my final plan so I cut out another block. No sewing done on it but here is the pile of pieces.

While I was chopping up fabric, I thought I'd go ahead and cut up some kits for Irish Courthouse blocks. This quilt ends up 93"x93". I won't be making this one any larger! Lol! There are 64 blocks total so I thought I'd start by kitting up 6 pink ones. While perusing my pinks and the pattern directions, I decided I ought to sew up a block before getting in too far and to also give me an idea of how to select the right fabric combos for the blocks. This stack will end up being my first IC block. Stay tuned!

I've got 5 other partial sets but will wait until I see how this one goes together before I proceed. I never know how things will actually come together until I sew that first block. If all goes well, I'll continue on. I should be able to get a lot of scraps out of the bins and into quilts! Score!

Join the others at So Scrappy to see how their pink projects are coming along.

13 comments:

  1. That looks like a great start to PINK month, Susie!! Good luck with your IC block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Stairsteps block! Great idea to have the color of the month going down the center. I'll enjoy seeing your Courthouse Steps quilt come together, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful block, I too like the colour going up the centre. You have done really well with all your cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of lovely pink things happening at your place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stair steps is a lovely block, with a touch if pink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Progress and planning. Great way to start the new year. Love the stair step blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great start to the pink month with your stairs block. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're blocks look great! I searched it and our library didn't have Oh Scrap! but a neighboring library did! Woohoo! Thank you for the book reference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pink is one of my favorite colors and I especially like the fabrics you've chosen for the Irish Courthouse blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how we quilters stretch the RSC color of the month in every way :-) That HST fabric is too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete