Thursday, January 28, 2021

I Like Thurs #22

Here we are another Thursday and there is plenty to like. Thank goodness for that to counteract any and all the dislikes, right?

My main Like today is we finally had measurable snow yesterday! Maybe 2" here, a little more down by my Mom's. We typically have 15-ish" for the year and so far we've VERY down. I have two more likes to share to celebrate ALL THAT SNOW!

I finally took Snowmen & Churches out for her photo shoot! Besides the soft colors, I love the borders that look knitted! Her final measurements were 58" x 71" -- such a nice snuggle quilt! I actually finished this quilt last month. .It was part of my 2020 UFO Challenge at my local quilt shop. I had also put it on my 2020PHD list. Thankfully I didn't have to have pictures for this sweet quilt to qualify for the two challenges!
I tried to get a picture of the quilting. The way I managed the quilting: I laid the quilt on a light box before layering her up and traced a snowflake design on the large blocks. I used a water soluble pen to get the marks out after she was finished. Plain orange peel-like quilting in the 9-patches.
I used a light blue thread (King Tut Baby Moses #928) to quilt her up. It blended it nicely with the Warm & Natural 80/20 batting.
And, of course, a picture of the back. I inserted a strip of 9-patches using some leftover fabrics through the center for a little extra length. Thank goodness I had some leftovers because this kit only gave me 4 yards of fabric for backing for the 71" long quilt. And look at the fabric, it's dimensional (wrong word here but I'm brain-cramping to come up with the right word) so I couldn't just patch up a bunch of pieces! YOI!
And it's Gracie-approved!

This morning I also hung up Walking In a Winter Wonderland. I figured it snowed so let's get this house decked out with snowmen!
Of course it's a little long but doesn't it look pretty with the Snowmen & Churches quilt? And this set-up is Polly-approved! Lol!

I finished reading "Anxious People" by Fredrik Backman. It had some good spots that made me think and/or made me laugh. Other than that it was a little disappointing. I much preferred his other books ("Beartown", "A Man Called Ove", and "Your Grandmother Told Me to Tell You She's Sorry") but maybe you might like it. Maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea, as they say.

I am currently about halfway through listening to "The Chain" by Adrian McKinty. I'm still very interested in this book and looking forward to seeing how this one ends. If you forgot what this book is about, click HERE where I originally mentioned it.

We quilters like to nibble and I have a super LIKE this week. I've tried these Dot's Homestyle Pretzels in the Original Flavor and they are very delicious so I decided to try this flavor too.

OMG! So delicious!!! They're made in North Dakota and are slowly making their way through the Midwest. I had to laugh when I watched 3 young adults excitedly grabbing several bags each. I spoke to them and they explained that they were visiting from Tennessee and they can't get these there. They were so excited! If you can get your hands on these, you'll be amazed how good they taste too!

Isn't this cardinal mug rug pretty?!!? My best friend made it for me. I broke it out the other day and it's perfect now since we got snow. Now you know why I love my friend!
One last like for me this week: I took Mom to the doctor this past week. Her blood pressure was 115/67 and the doc said she was in great shape especially since she only takes a thyroid pill. When we got back to her house, she had a voicemail requesting she call back to schedule her COVID vaccination which she did. This afternoon she'll be getting her first shot and she already has her appointment on Feb. 26 for her second shot. Whether it works or not depends on who you're talking to but we figure she gets her flu shot so why not a Corona shot too? She has no known allergies so what's the harm? She's looking forward to feeling a little safer and that mindset is enough for me to stand behind her.

Have a great week, everyone! I'm linking up with LeeAnne to share my likes. I'll be stopping by later to see what the others are sharing too!


4 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous quilt, Susie - and perfect timing for you to photograph it in the snow! I had never thought to use a light box to trace a quilting design onto a quilt. I'll have to try that. So glad your mom is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good news post... LoVe gorgeous quilts too...xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Winter Wonderland quilt! That mug rug is pretty adorable, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all you snowy decorations! Your cardinal mug rug is the best. I got my first COVID-19 vaccination on the 22nd. No issues. One time I’m happy to be over70! 😃

    ReplyDelete