Saturday, January 30, 2021

Tiny Tuesday, Table Scraps Challenge, WOOFA, and the End of Pinks

I hope I got your attention with that long title! I think I'll start from the end. You don't mind, do you? Ha!

First up are two more Irish Courthouse Steps. These are for RSC2021 using pink!


Next I frantically finished up my Table Scraps Challenge with Joyful Quilts. I was planning on doing a different project but I got bogged down with life. Then I saw a Valentine's Day pattern by one of my designer friends "Sewing With Susan" so I ordered up her pattern "2 Hearts as One". I got the PDF and you can find it here. I love QAYG patterns and I got to use more of my pink scraps! This is one place of 3 I plan on making. This is the completed one. The others are very close ....

(Just a little background: Susan is the one that got me hooked on playing with Dresden Plate patterns! All of her patterns are very detailed and I doubt anyone could go wrong making any of her patterns!)

Now for my Ta-Da! Tiny Tuesday is 100% finished FINALLY! If you recall, I started it in January 2019 with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge family. It was my first year joining and Angela said she was going to be posting directions for tiny blocks every Tuesday in January through October (?). Then it was up to us finish it or quit at any time for smaller quilts or just do whatever pleases us. She's still got the links for this one on her SoScrappy blog HERE.

Anyway, I got my blocks done but didn't know how I wanted to finish it. The individual blocks finish at 4" and then, after laying them on point or straight, they became 7" finished blocks. At the time I had a stack of 44 blocks which would make a weird-sized quilt. I ended up making 4 more blocks for a 6x8 layout. I decided 42" x 56" wasn't large enough for me so I grouped four blocks together with a tiny sashing and 4-patch unit. Then I grouped the groups into a 3x4 layout with wider sashing and 9-patch units and added a border. Tiny Tuesday now measures 52" x 76" which is good to me!

UPDATE: This was also my WOOFA project. I had my nose to the grindstone for just about all of January working on getting this one done. Happy to say I managed!


If you want to stop reading right here, that's fine by me. It's going to get picture-heavy as I show off the  blocks and then some of my impressive (HA!) quilting next. It you don't quilt, you may not be too interested but I'll leave it up to you.

So let's get started. Here are all of my blocks, four at a time:













Aren't they so pretty? We learned all kinds of techniques: simple piecing, complex piecing, applique, reverse applique, paper piecing, pretty much everything!

Now for some pictures of some of the quilting. I quilted each block differently using thread to match the main color. The frames of the blocks on point have a triple-petals design and the straight blocks have a loopy design in their frames. I used the 3-4-5 quilting motif in the borders. It goes like this: Bernina Stitch #4 which automatically (on my machine anyway) sets the width to 5 and I manually change the length to 3. It's a bit organic yet holds the seams nicely and if you stray a little it just blends right in! For now enjoy a few of my favorite quilted blocks from the back.
Hearts & Squiggles with a lacy edge treatment

Definitely organic circles quilted as I ditch-stitched! Lol!

Wonky Star in a Star

Block Name: Multiply Block
Quilting Name: Big fish eating smaller fish eating smallest fish!

So glad I quilted in his chest feathers!

Butterfly and Organic (yes, again with the organic!) Spiral

If you stayed with me this long, congratulations! I enjoyed this entire quilt journey. Tiny Tuesday will always be a favorite of mine for so many reasons. Thank you, Angela, for the idea, the patterns, and of course all the colors!

Linking with SoScrappy and the RSC2021 quilters, TheJoyfulQuilter and the Table Scraps Challengers, and with QuiltingGail and the PHD2021 quilters!

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your Tiny Tuesday quilt and thank you for playing along with the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge on my blog!!! Next up? Yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, your Tiny Tuesday quilt is amazing! I love the green sashing and 4 patch cornerstones. Your quilting is so detailed - I'm impressed. Congratulations on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a pleasure seeing all your stitching...
    thanks for sharing... xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! You're so inventive. Now I want to at least look at the patterns and try a few.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your Tiny Tuesday quilt is great! Some of those pieces must've been really small. Nice work on the quilting of it. Love your table runner too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are the cutest projects! Scraps are always so fun to work with. Love your creative quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tiny tuesday quilt is wonderful and I love the quilting you did on it. The heat table topper is great as well.... I should try that method on one of mine. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiny Tuesday is lovely, cute little blocks! I love your table runner too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Tiny Tuesday finish! My top is mostly pieced ...trying to make up my mind on a border. Thanks for showing us some of the quilting details.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love how you finished your Tiny Tuesday! So innovative! I’m definitely making a note!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Tiny Tuesday is great. Nice work in January.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your January achievements!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such fun projects!! Your Pink RSC blocks are realy cool! and your Table scraps - how cute with the pink hearts. No laughing - I don't know what a WOOFA is? But I like your!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Tiny Tuesday blocks are great. I also like the creative way you grouped them to make a bigger quilt. Great job this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Tiny Tuesday quilt is just beautiful. Love the blocks, especially the kitty and the fishes. Your quilting is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete