Saturday, February 27, 2021

Nearing the End of Yellow

Today & tomorrow. That's all there is to the little month of February. It may be small but it packed a brutal punch in the weather department. The Midwest had so much snow and bitter cold, but we made it! Just around the corner is March and Angela will announce the next color in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. So what did I work on this week? Not a whole lot to talk about.

I played with a new ruler, Mini QCR (Quick Curve Ruler), that I got for Christmas from my BFF. I saw a pretty sunflower block in the book using the same ruler so I thought it might be a good small project to try my new toy on. After all, sunflowers are yellow and February's color is yellow ...

This is what it looked like three days ago.
We progressed to this stage by Thursday evening.
Last night we got to this and obviously it's not quite done. I'll have that last corner stitched down by tonight! This Sunflower table mat measures about 17" square. It's the cutest little thing!
I had a lot of fun playing with the quilting. I went fairly heavy because I wanted it to lay very flat. Not too many bumps. Wouldn't want to spill coffee on it because my cup upset due to an unexpected "puff"!

I found the binding fabric in a bin of scraps that I bought off a relocating quilter. Any idea what it is? Here's a close-up of the texture of this fabric and a better picture of the actual color. Oh! Did I mention how soft it is too? I never would use it in a quilting project but the color was perfect and I'm only using it on the binding, right?
Besides sharing with Angela and my fellow RSC quilters, I'm also sharing this on Joy's Table Scraps Challenge!

I have one more yellow block to sew and I'll be officially done with yellow. March 1st isn't until Monday so I do have ALL weekend to finish my Sunflower binding and get that last block sewn together. Wonder what color March will bring?

Linking up with Angela at SoScrappy for RSC and Joy at TheJoyfulQuilter for Table Scraps Challenge.

Have a fabulous weekend!

16 comments:

  1. What a pretty block. Your quilting is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous topper for the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge!! Thanks for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely yellow topper! Great way to finish off the yellow month for the RSC

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cute and sunny block! A great little table topper, for sure. Nicely quilted, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this little table topper. I'll have to check out that ruler - it sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so pretty, Susie! Looks like your new ruler worked well. Love your quilting, too - you've made a sweet mini quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your Sunflower block was spectacular before quilting but you really fancied it up with that quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful piece. Your quilting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful sunflower block, and what to say about your quilting ... just gorgeous! You made a beautiful table mat.
    For March there are rumors that it will be green. Let's see. I am ready for a new color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great sunflower--I have some growing already--about 12" tall already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love your pretty sunflower. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful mini! Your curves are perfect and the quilting very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still plenty of time to finish off the last little bits of yellow. Love the quilting on the sunflower. It looks so textural.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I love your sunflower. What a cool way to use drunkard's path! I keep meaning to tell you I read The Chain recently and it was pretty creepy and I enjoyed it, lol. Also I finally ordered some candy from Wockenfuss and it was delicious. I am about to place another order even though the scales keeps telling me I shouldn't, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a brilliant sunflower block - and beautiful quilting. xx

    ReplyDelete