Thursday, March 23, 2023

I Like Thursday #111 - Recipes Galore!

 Oh boy! Did I have a good cooking week and everyone in this house liked that! Haha! No recipe for corned beef, cabbage, carrots, and red potatoes but sure enjoyed it. Just not on Friday since Mom is currently observing meatless Fridays. Believe me -- it was just as good on Saturday and she still wore her green beads!


As for the recipes I used this week, I made Irish Soda Bread for St. Paddy's Day. No meat there! Following a recipe from The Barefoot Contessa (aka Ina Garten) was easy although I used raisins instead of currants. Mom & I LOVED it! The orange zest adds just the right touch and made it so good with coffee each morning. Bet it would be good with tea as well!

My zested orange with the rustic Soda Bread.
It's supposed to look like this

Our breakfast plate

Since we weren't doing meat, I decided to try a recipe that was shared by Sherri on A Quilt Life blog. She shared Iowa Girl Eats's Easy Seafood Stew. Another easy one to make and you get to decide what you want in your soup. The recipe calls for 1-1/4# of mixed seafood: your choice. I used 1/2# shrimp, 1/2# scallops, and a little over 1/3# orange roughy. Whatever combo you use, I'm sure it'll be delicious. You can get the recipe HERE.


Last night I made Pumpkin Chili since I had half a can of pumpkin left. My BFF gave me nine LARGE cans of pumpkin. When I made pumpkin pie for Pi Day, I had half a can left so I decided to try something different. I've had this recipe from the Spend With Pennies blog for over a year and it was time to make it. I had to change it a bit for a certain palette in this house: I halved the amounts of chili powder and red bell pepper. It was still good but Mom & I would've preferred more spicy heat. Next time I'll throw a few chopped pickled jalapenos on ours! I forgot to take a picture but you can get the recipe HERE. It was really good!

As many of you know, I love knitting and then wearing my socks. They usually fit perfectly, look beautiful, and provide a different sort of handwork. Recently I finished my first attempt at mosaic knitting. This pattern is called Circuit Socks, written by Shuyi Wu. You can find the free pattern on Ravelry HERE. I'm showing them off below.

"Dream Town" by David Baldacci is really holding my interest as is "Survivor". I can't believe how again that Jaime girl got to sit out another challenge. She's so lame! Haha!

I'd say that pretty much wraps up my week except for an all-day long-arm certification class I took on Monday at my LQS. I really enjoyed it but my head was spinning by the end. I'll share a bit more of this day in another post. I will say I'm looking forward to my next session to work on one of my own quilts. Sure hope I can remember even half of what I learned!

Have a great week!

7 comments:

  1. There sure is a lot to like here, Sue. Now I'm hungry LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great likes (but you left me hungry!). I really like the design on those socks (and they look really warm).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh all your recipes sound so good. I bet that soda bread was really tasty with the orange zest. Your knitted socks are lovely. What kind of longarm certification was it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of yummy food at your house this week! Your Irish Soda bread looks especially good. Your socks are amazing - what a great pattern! Looking forward to hearing about your longarm class, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooo great socks! I might have to try the soda bread!
    Love, LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks so delicious. I love pumpkin chili; pumpkin is so diverse to use in recipes.

    ReplyDelete