Saturday, March 25, 2023

RSC - Nearing the End of Green & a Quilt Top!

As the days of March are running down, I wonder what color April will bring? In the meantime there are still green scraps to get sewn up. That's the beauty of Rainbow Scrap Challenge -- there always plenty of fabric to play with. As for me this week? Since there's been time at Mom's P/T appointments, I've gotten this far on Block 2: the Lucy Boston block. There's even a tad of green in the row with the birds I'm doing now!

I sewed with the ladies yesterday and I finally (yes, FINALLY) got the final outer border sewn on Awesome Land. I even stay-stitched the edge because I don't know when I'll get to quilting this one. I didn't take the time to measure the top, but it should be in the ballpark of 89" square. This RSC top truly has green in it!

On Monday I was in an all-day class to learn how to long-arm quilt and to get my certification so I'd be allowed to rent a machine at my LQS. Thankfully there was only me and one other quilter learning this craft. When I left at the end, my head was spinning. I dreamt about all the ins & outs of it for the next 2 nights. On Wednesday I read the "manual" we were given and things are finally coming together in my brain (I think). Here are a couple of pictures I managed to get at class.

Instructor did flower on right.
All the rest were my doodles for free-motion.

The two classmates for the day.
We are sword-fighting with our red snapper sticks!

As you might guess, I didn't feel too intimidated on the custom quilting since I do that a lot on my domestic sewing machine. I really want to learn to pantograph which is shown in the bottom picture. I'm on the schedule in about 10 days and am looking forward to finding out how much I forgot, Ha! I plan on working on a baby quilt I made quite some time ago during a SAL with Gudrun Erla. Since I'm still practicing, it'll be a donation quilt.

In looking for a picture, I can see I need to go through my photos, I can't remember when I started Awesome Land or the QAL baby quilt. Meanwhile, I hope you're having a great weekend. I'm going back today to sew with friends. I've got another project in mind that I'd like to make a good start.

You can catch up with the other RSC quilters on Angela's blog, SoScrappy, right HERE

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing the top of Awesome Land, Sue!! Learning to longarm? Fun! Glad you scheduled some time for quilting with your friends, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good progress on that learning curve! I'm quite intimidated by machine quilting unless it's straight lines. I get tense and then any curvy line tend to get wonky. Guess I need more practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Land looks...awesome!! I really like that outside border. Sounds like you had fun learning to longarm, and it will lead to more quilt finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Lucy block is beautiful and Awesome Land is stunning. Great FMQ, have fun with the panotgraphs. I enjoy using them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you'll have the long arm mastered very quickly. Your "green" Awesome land looks ...well.... awesome... & Lucy is looking good too... xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Lucy Boston block is looking fabulous and Wow on Awesome Land; it is indeed awesome!!!! Woo Hoo on learning to quilt with a longarm. Looking forward to hearing more about your class and your progress. Happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you taking long arm quilting classes, seems rather scary to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Lucy Boston Block is gorgeous, as is the RSC quilt. Good luck with the longarm adventure, you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete